Advice Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all

Please bear with me, I am new to the forum.

I have just got a quote for an upgrade for a 24 year old Baxi boiler to a Worcester 30SI combi with the programmable room thermostat and thermostatic valves for 10 radiators. The questions are:

1 is a Worcester 30 SI a decent boiler?
2- is £2,150 a fair price to pay for the North of England?

All your input is greatly appreciated.

Regards

Sponsored Links
Nothing wrong with the worcester and the price seems about right if it is plus VAT. If it includes vat, a proper powerflush and any upgrade to your gas pipe size supplying the worcester, then bite his hand off ;)

Great price.

I love Worcesters. Get a decent engineer early who will service / maintain it and you will have many many years of good service.

David

Dave: the VAT is included with the price and includes a powerflush, a corrosion preventive inhibitor, 3 years material guarantee and six years workmanship warranty.

David: The engineer is a member of both the IPHE and also a Corgi registered (I have checked both websites to confirm the membership).

Thank you both for your prompt reply and have a lovely weekend.

Regards

Sponsored Links
The most important parts are the ones you have not mentioned!

That is about cleaning the system. Powerflushing or whatever is done must be based on a full guarantee by the installer that HE will be responsible for any dirt in the system causing a problem in the future.

Also that he is genuinely CORGI registered and will notify CORGI of your installation.

Just today I came across a builder fitted boiler just two days old with a pump failure due to dirt in the system.

Tony

Urban_Gorilla said:
Dave: the VAT is included with the price and includes a powerflush, a corrosion preventive inhibitor, 3 years material guarantee and six years workmanship warranty.

David: The engineer is a member of both the IPHE and also a Corgi registered (I have checked both websites to confirm the membership).

Thank you both for your prompt reply and have a lovely weekend.

Regards

Well I think you have a bargain then ;)

Agile said:

That is about cleaning the system. Powerflushing or whatever is done must be based on a full guarantee by the installer that HE will be responsible for any dirt in the system causing a problem in the future.

Also that he is genuinely CORGI registered and will notify CORGI of your installation.

Just today I came across a builder fitted boiler just two days old with a pump failure due to dirt in the system.

Tony

Agile.

Thank you for your reply. Please check the above edited reply.

I also have to add the Certificate for Building control and part P for electrical work will be self certified through Corgi.

Regards

2 days Tony?

Be jeeesus them London installers are bad.

David

I can't believe any system would make a pump fail in 2 days unless it is full of actual treacle :eek:

I wouls suggest it is a faulty pump that would have failed on a clean system, but Tony found a couple of specs of dirt in the water :rolleyes:

Agile said:

Tony

Gawd Blimey tony

This bloke has found what appears to be a decent chap (a IPHE member no less) who is charging a more than fair price for a fair job of work. But you have to find fault, why?

As for "Powerflushing or whatever is done must be based on a full guarantee by the installer that HE will be responsible for any dirt in the system causing a problem in the future"

If the boiler fails before any one else drains down the system, takes off a rad etc etc without topping up the ihibitor then I think you will find that the installer will be responsible under the "Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982" so he doesnt have to go to the trouble of giving a written guarantee as an act of parliment insists that he does

OP this chap sounds like a top man

and Agile Lighten up for gawds sake, other people are more than capable of doing a good job for a fair price.

Yeah but Tony will still undercut him and he's the only one who knows how to powerflush :rolleyes:

I made my posting before I read that he was IPHE and CORGI registered.

This sounds like a fully competent and decent installer who will do a good job at a very reasonable price. In any case the IPHE has a complaints procedure which keeps us members on our toes!

The failed pump is on a boiler installed by an East European builder who admits he is not registered. I was going to see it today but now its put back until Monday.

My worst fears are that I will find a serious gas or flue problem and have to condem it before I even look at the pump!

I will probably go over the weekend to one where the installer has given a false CORGI number. I have yet to break the news to the owner.

Tony

Agile said:
I made my posting before I read that he was IPHE and CORGI registered.

This sounds like a fully competent and decent installer who will do a good job at a very reasonable price. In any case the IPHE has a complaints procedure which keeps us members on our toes!

Tony

Being a member of any of the many organisations that are available to us is no guarantee of the competence of any individual, they all have there own complaints procedure.

Hi Urban-Gorilla,

Whose your quote from? I'm in Manchester and need another quote from a plumber and yours seems decent? Got his number?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back