Advise on Stepped Cavity Trays for Conservatories

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Need advice on putting in Stepped Cavity Tray for a conservatory.
How to do? etc..... Where can get info on it etc.....

Sponsored Links
You mean a conservatory added to an existing house wall? I don't think many people bother to fit cavity trays unless it's new build. It's a lot of chopping out of bricks.

The conservatory is being added to the side of a house and requires Stepped Cavity Trays.

I don't think many people bother to fit cavity trays unless it's new build. It's a lot of chopping out of bricks.
If it is a "conservatory", you probably don't need it. If building control haven't mentioned it, don't pre-empt it. It really is a hell of a lot of work, and total overkill for a conservatory.

Sponsored Links
Yes understood, but still need to know how it's done. Is there anywhere that I can get information on it? Recommend a book, documentation or website?

The stepped cavitty tray consists of a length of steel with a cross section similar to a straightened out Z. The top flat sits in a mortar joint in the inner leaf, and the bottom flat, sits in a (lower) mortar joint in the outer leaf of the wall. To get this in place requires the removal of bricks above the line where it has to be inserted.

If this is for just a short length (say over a doorway), It can be carried out fairly simply, by removing the bricks, raking out the joint on the the inner skin, sliding the cavity tray into place, and replacing the bricks on the outer skin.

A longer tray is a different kettle of fish altogether. The amount of brickwork to be removed would seriously weeken the structure of the wall. Shoring up of the wall will therfore be required. This puts it firmly outside the scope of a DIY job.

At the end of the day, how it is achieved is dependant on its length, position, the proximity of any adjacent opeinings in the wall etc.. We would really need more details.

Just in case we are talking at cross purposes. It's possible that you're having a conservatory built using a cavity wall construction and a cavity tray placed above a one of the conservatory's doors or windows.

Can you give more information about where this cavity tray is to be put?

Thx Tex. I will check all the details out & get back to you tomorrow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back