AEG hob wiring help - two live inputs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I recently purchased the AEG 67670KF-N (manual can be found here: http://www.serviceforce.co.uk/pdfs/U27275.pdf).

However, I have a small query about the wiring. There are two live connections (P26 of manual shows wiring box). The hob was provided with no special cable so I was planning to swap new for old and keep the current cable. This has only one live wire.

On a test installation, the hob only half worked (ie the front two rings) when placing the live wire in clamping joint 1 (see diagram on P26 of manual) and not at all when in clamping joint 2. However, when splitting the 7 copper wires inside the live to have 4 in clamp 1 and 3 wires in clamp 2, the hob seemed to work fine.

IS this ok? I am concerned I may overload the split copper wires. Or should I add a small second bit of wire to loop from clamping joint 1 to clamping joint 2 so the wire is not split? However, there is not really sufficient room in the wiring box to do this. Thanks for your help in advance :)

Rich

Sponsored Links
No, dont split the copper wire like that. Feed it all into one terminal. You need a link to the other terminal. They usually supply a solid metal link for this purpose. If not, use an offcut of this same cable to provide the link.

It is normal for hobs and ovens to be provided with 2 live terminals because on the continent they use 2-phase power for cooking.

Crafty -

Thanks very much for your help. Sadly no mention of that in the user manual - and no solid metal link supplied.

But, with a bit of cable linking the two: all appears to be working now!

:D :D :D :D

Sponsored Links
To all future viewers- please read your installation instructions!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back