After filling wood, can I drill and put screws in?

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a kitchen unit, the doors have come off because the screws holding how just come out and left holes too big to put the screws back in

Can I just buy a wood filler, drill holes and then simple screw back?

I'm just concerned that the wood filler won't hold and last

Though, I'm sure I've read somewhere that the fillers are stronger than the wood itself?? Is this true?
If so, does this cause a bigger problem in that it could lead to a bigger whole if there is force applied on the area? i.e. the filler won't break, so the surrounding wood comes off!

Any advice would be great

Thanks

OM

Sponsored Links
awesome
just ordered 2 from the link u gave

i'm going to use the solution u gave
but, i just had another thought
maybe it's a bad idea for kitchen unit, but isn't it possible to use a dowd?
i think i spelt that correctly - u drill a bigger hole and then fit a wooden dowd in with glue?

let me know

thanks

Dowel. And no, it's not a good idea for a kitchen unit. They're usually chip, and far too thin.

Sponsored Links
ok... i got the plates, but i'm scratching my head what to do
the top plate fits away from the current holes
the bottom one sits half over the holes

if i fit into the holes, i assume i can adjust the door screws to fit correctly?

ALSO, before i fit the screws into the plate holes, should i fill the holes in underneath?

let me know

thanks

The middle pair of holes on the plate should sit over the existing holes in the unit. You simply screw the plate in place and then screw the hinge through those holes. Do not fill behind them.

The middle pair of holes on the plate should sit over the existing holes in the unit. You simply screw the plate in place and then screw the hinge through those holes. Do not fill behind them.
thanks for the reply

ok: so that's what's supposed to happen - the holes are meant ti fit over exactly
in my case they don't - as i said the top doesn't fit at all and the bottom only half fits
so what should i do?

should i manipulate the plate and MAKE it fit?
like cut off the bend or something?

thanks

I can't see how your units would be that severely out of square and still manage to have doors hang on them..

But yes, if you trim that lip off you can position them as you like. Just make sure you screw them on firmly (and don't overdo it or you'll just tear the chip out like the original hinge screws did).

I'd like to see a picture of these cabinets..

thanks for the replies - much appreciated

see the following images:

top:

688pc4.jpg

bottom:

9gwx13.jpg

top:

nyeeyb.jpg

bottom:

2myrznn.jpg

it's not as bad as i said - but still a problem i think
the top, the holes fit half way
the bottom, one hole does fit actually - but the other one is half showing and would definitely have to be forced

let me know what u think
thanks

Ok, so mark and drill for the positions on the plates and adjust the hinges when you refit the door. Assuming your hinges are adjustable.

Oh, and pilot (2mm or so) for the screws to fix the plate.

• Thanks
Reactions: OM2
Ok, so mark and drill for the positions on the plates and adjust the hinges when you refit the door. Assuming your hinges are adjustable.

Oh, and pilot (2mm or so) for the screws to fix the plate.
hmm... so it doesn't matter that the new holes will be half way over the existing holes?
is this because the plate is holding the door screw and not the wood?
i'll give it a go in the morning!
thanks

Exactly. You drill clearance holes behind the center holes on the plate, and the plate, fixed to the undamaged chip, holds the hinge. Make sure your hinge screws thread onto the plate, mind. They should.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back