Aftermath of boiler service

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The plumber came round to service the boiler, which is in the outside WC. A few hours afterwards the timer switched the boiler on and water came deluging into the WC apparently from the boiler. It turned out the water was coming from behind a nut above the boiler, see arrow in photo.

Pipes02.jpg

I don't know what plumbers do but I'm guessing he loosened that nut as part of the process and didn't tighten it properly. I tightened it by hand, which stopped the leak. My question is, should I tighten it more forcefully with a spanner?

Sponsored Links
It must have been getting close to 6pm and your plumber, was in a rush to get home...mine were the same!!!

Thanks for the answers gents, I'll get a wrench and give it a cautious tightening.

Sponsored Links
Must have been a thorough "service":)
No reason to be touching it on a service

why would he touch the drian off when servicing the boiler?

Assuming the picture is the correct way up then that drain cock has been fitted to be used as an air vent.

I admit that I might be inclined to open it and let out any air and "exercise" it but I would also close it in the same movement.

Seems odd that it only leaked when heating was put on so we are told.

Tony

Assuming the picture is the correct way up then that drain cock has been fitted to be used as an air vent.

I admit that I might be inclined to open it and let out any air and "exercise" it but I would also close it in the same movement.

Seems odd that it only leaked when heating was put on so we are told.

Tony
It opened when "pressure" was put on it, the pump. It may be tank fed and low pressure. It does look like an improvised vent point.

I admit that I might be inclined to open it and let out any air and "exercise"

Tony
Really?
So on a working boiler SERVICE you would "exercise" a drain cock, albeit being multiused as an air vent, knowing the real risk of the carpy item not resealing and leaking?

Well, I would be tempted to open it if the boiler was noisy during a service.

As those of us know in the trade, that is a risky strategy because the washers are normally brittle, especially that close to the boiler.

Its only risky because the lazy fellow who fitted it did not remove the washer when soldering it in! Even his soldering would give rise to some complaints.

Its good practise to exercise both air vents, drain cocks, stop cocks and gate valves during a service. Rarely done unfortunately but I like to!

Saves the problems I have been having at an install where the mains water supply is in 1/2" copper.

Tony

Its only risky because the lazy fellow who fitted it did not remove the washer when soldering it in! Even his soldering would give rise to some complaints.

Its good practise to exercise both air vents, drain cocks, stop cocks and gate valves during a service. Rarely done unfortunately but I like to!

Saves the problems I have been having at an install where the mains water supply is in 1/2" copper.

Tony

How'd you know he didn't remove the washer when soldering in????? Was it you?

You do so much work for your £84, no wonder your in your top 100 guide!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back