Again.... commission a combi & legalities

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have fitted all the piping for the CH and hot/cold system throughout the house and stopped 1m (ish) short of where i want my boiler.

The gas pipe (i did not fit and was in already) was cut back and is also approximately a metre from where i want the boiler.

All joints are visible and accessible however there are no rads in place due to the whole house getting plastered soon.

Where the boiler is going has been plastered to get the boiler in place but I'm trying to find out the legalities and situation of getting someone in to commission this boiler.

Can someone fit the boiler without the rads being on?! Silly question i feel.....

Sponsored Links
Yeah that'll be ok. Gsr will want to, hang boiler, fit and test gas, fit flue. Nothing stopping him fitting the boiler but can't really commision with no rads on. What boiler you got/getting.

Well i guess thats ok with me, he can always come back to commission it once the plaster is done and I've put the rads on.

Boiler is a worcester greenstar CDI compact

Sponsored Links
I'm sure you would Dan. No chance to rip off the punter eh?

Oh dear - it must be a full moon - 90 has ventured in the Plumbing Forum again. :LOL: makes a change from the mod.. sorry JohnD I suppose.

Come on then 90 - what gems are you going to bestow upon us this evening?

Could be a laugh this :D.

Pretty sure this is meant to be a DIY forum so people can help each other.....

Don't know why anyone would "run a mile".... feel free to elaborate.

They don't like those boilers- to me now they are all white boxes on the wall - like modern cars, complex:notworthy:

Pretty sure this is meant to be a DIY forum so people can help each other.....

Don't know why anyone would "run a mile".... feel free to elaborate.

Because those jobs nearly always them out to be a monumental ball ache, whether practically or in terms of the relationship with the customer who has from the outset, demonstrated being as tight as a duck's arris.

It's not the boiler, there are lots of Worcesters out there, they are simple to fit even if they can be a pain to repair... It is the Messabout factor involved in the customer doing a bit and the RGI doing a bit and who is responsible for what when it goes belly up... Some years ago I took pity on a young couple who had recently moved into a house, was doing it up,had little money and she was expecting. He decided that if I hung and commissioned the boiler and gas, then he would do all other pipework and radiators.. I told him where the boiler was to go and I went away for him to get on with it... Few weeks later, he called to say all was ready for me but when I tipped up, he had hung the boiler where the flue would have exited 12 inches away from next doors property because it fitted in better with his kitchen . So instead of finishing the job, I had to go away because the job couldn't have been finished. then once he had bought a load of flue and fittings to make it all comply (The flue had to be run along his kitchen to exit where I wanted it) Two weeks later he then called me to fit the flue and commission the boiler.. On filling the system many of his joints leaked... Not just little weeps. By this time they were rushing to move in and he could spare no more time on the heating, so taking pity on them, I went round the house fixing the leaks (Bear in mind their lack of spare cash) and I eventually finished late at night, fired up and commissioned... A lot of hassle for little money and had to move some of my other customers around to do this.... So I can fully understand why Dan says "Run away" these days so would I.

I do understand that some DIYers are highly capable but many more overestimate their abilities and like Middle Eastern immigrants, it is hard to tell the good from the bad without spending more time than I am willing to invest.

The fact is DAN..... people especially myself are not tight as a ducks arse..... its merely the fact that most if not all so called "tradesmen" these days don't give a flying f*@K about the customer, their requirements, their property and how they want the finished product to be!

All they care about is making as much money as possible in as shorter time as possible so they can move quickly onto the next rip off bodge it and scarper!

I have had dealings with lots of "tradesmen" including gas fitters who are gas safe registered and apparently competent..... after seeing their work, i swear a child could do a better job.

When it comes down to it, a heating system is not rocket science. Fitting the rads, is not rocket science. Even fitting a new gas pipe is not rocket science. I would fit the boiler myself if i were registered.

So called tradesmen just pray upon people who have little knowledge and are too scared that they'll mess it up and so they charge stupid amounts of money.

As previously ..... even though, i could easily fit the lot myself, all i will install is the boiler frame to the wall so i know where exactly I'm going with the pipes. Even then i will stop a metre out with all pipes and i will not be fitting the flue.
The whole system will be pressure tested prior to the boiler install so i know the joints are good.

Any RGI that wouldn't do the requested work to me, just wants to rip people off in the first place. Im sure there are plenty of decent ones that would be more than happy with the request.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back