Air in hot water tap!

ih

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
For the past couple of days when i open the hot water tap i get air and water coming out after a few minutes the air stops then normal flow of water! I have indirect hw cylinder in the loft and there is air vent fitted to one of the pipes coming out of the cylinder ( fyi the airvent is fitted on the half hight of the cylinder) I opened the air vent but no air or water comes out?. :confused: any help/advise appreciated. thanking in advance.
ih

Sponsored Links
Check your float valve is filling the cold water tank in the loft before opening the hot taps and when there are open.

Is the cold for the bath bath connected to the tank or mains fed?

Andy

• Thanks
Reactions: ih
thanks for the reply!
1. The float valve is filling the cold water tank before and after opening hw taps.(drip feeding before opening taps)
2. The bath cold water is connected to the tank.
3. I am no expert but on opening the air vent i should get either Air or water?? unless you tell me otherwise. !

Sponsored Links
The air vent is for the heating system.

Go to the kitchen tap and open it. Does any air come out?

Andy

• Thanks
On opening the HW tap there is no air as the flow turns to hot then the tap
becomes noisy with air? (on opening hw tap initial there is cold water and no air)

Open all of the hot taps in the house, let them run for 5 mins and tell us what happens.

Andy

• Thanks
op - I was slinging a question at hertsdrainage really, so you should remove your "thanks" since it is unwarranted :oops:

hi
opened all HW taps and as expected exhausted all hw and cold started to flow the good news is none of the HW taps are noisy with air!
1. If the problem is solved perhaps you can let me into the secret and let me know what causes it and how do i avoid it reoccurring.
2. I sincerely forgot to mention that since the problem started i also reduced the boiler thermostat from 4 to 3 me thinking that the water was getting very hot and was allowing air but surely from next week when the cold sets in then will have to increase boiler stat setting! does the boiler setting have anything to do with air in cylinder? thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back