Air in system.

• Thread starter Deleted member 15266
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15266

After having air in system for a year and continuously bleeding three rads a heating engineer put a can of fernox leak sealer in the system which seemed to work great but today I notice one of the radiators had air in it again (upstairs). Should I get him back to put another can in? We have 12 radiators in total.

Sponsored Links
It would be better to find the leaks. Sometimes all it needs is a gland nut tightening on one of the radiator valves.

He said there’s no obvious signs of a leak so it must be under the hard flooring downstairs which I really doubt as there is no smell of damp and the floor was up to fit a new kitchen and the sub floor was dry. There are some pipes in the airing cupboard which a magnet sticks imo indicating sludge but he said that would cause a problem like that and to ignore. We do have lots of heat and hot water.

After having air in system for a year and continuously bleeding three rads a heating engineer put a can of fernox leak sealer in the system which seemed to work great but today I notice one of the radiators had air in it again (upstairs). Should I get him back to put another can in? We have 12 radiators in total.
Is it air of hydrogen? Been discussed on this forum quite recently. If it's hydrogen, you need to get some inhibitor in there.

Sponsored Links
I have had this problem for years. No visible leaks just air and no gas as I can’t light it. No smells and no damp either. I have just renewed the boiler and the problem persist.

I have had this problem for years. No visible leaks just air and no gas as I can’t light it. No smells and no damp either. I have just renewed the boiler and the problem persist.
Worth doing a bright wire nail test to check for corrosion. Come back if you want details.

Yes please. Never heard of it
Put some water from the system into a jam jar to about 1" deep. Put some tap water in another jar as a a check. Add 3-4 bright wire steel nails, and leave for a couple of weeks. If the water stays clear you're OK, if it goes brown you need inhibitor.

If you have a Magnaclean or similar it's ideal for taking the sample and for adding inhibitor, a bit more trouble otherwise, need to get it from a bleed screw or something.

Here's one I did on my system earlier this year. Tap water on the left!

Attachments

• 20230124_111523[1].jpg
    20230124_111523[1].jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 37

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back