Air in the System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My central heating system (traditional, Potterton Kingfisher) is 'gaining air', quite significantly. It's not Gas, I've done the trick with the jar.

3 radiators are gaining air - a small upstairs shower room rad at the end of a run (gains most air), a large upstairs bedroom radiator at the middle of a run (gains least air) and a large downstairs radiator at the beginning of a run (which gains a lot of air too).

The small upstairs shower room radiator was the first to exhibit the symptoms about a year ago, but then it clearded, but has now returned and got worse - it can become full of air overnight. The problem is at it's worst when the weather is colder and the system is working harder, which, I guess can be down to both the activity of the central heating pump drawing in air, and the expanding contracting of heated and cooled pipework, exacerbating the leak.

With so much air entering the system and presumably, obviously, water escaping, there is no evidence of a leak in the upstairs pipework as, by now, the ceilings would surely have produced damp marks if not fallen in by now.
I have examined the entire downstairs pipework, such that is visible, and again there are no obvious signs of water escaping. In the case of some rooms I have done this two or three times, in case I missed something earlier, and expecting greater evidence given the leak over time.

In December, I tried a very expensive sealant, injected via a bleed valve, which seemed to work for a few hours but for no longer.

The header tank appears to be fine, working properly, normal tidemark etc. but I am bleeding the 3 radiators almost daily.

I feel like I have tried everything, I thought that any leakage would be near to the radiator (s) with the air in.

What's puzzling me that if the air (or gas) has entered the system it would increase the overall volume of the system, resulting in a rise of level in the expansion tank, overflow and the consequent evidence of increased water level. It's not doing this.
Can the system 'pressurise' through generated gas or ingested air, without causing overflow?

Please....... The main thing is..... How can I locate and fix this damn leak?

Sponsored Links
OK, so I'm replying to my own post.
But, some additional information......
Reading some of the other posts on similar subjects people were mentioning the pump sucking air in through the vent pipe - wierd, how? why?
So I did a little experiment, the details of which may help/hinder others.
I shot up to the loft and at the header tank bunged a small see-through plastic sandwich bag around the vent pipe sealed it with an elastic band and got the missues to wind the stat up to fire up the system and start the pump.
And what happened? The bag compressed as the pump tried to suck air in through the vent pipe (it also blew it up a little like a balloon when the stat was turned down again and the pump stopped.

OK, Questions:
Is this normal?
Why is it doing it?
Is it something to do with the 'baked bean can' that joins the cold feed, flow pipes and vent together being sludged up?
Is this the definite cause of air entering my system (ooh er missus)?

I'm hungry for answers (and sick and tired of continually having to bleed my radiators every day).

Cheers,

Ian

do you mean
11334.gif

one of these :?:

Boy, that was clever!

Well, yes, and no.
It does look more like a baked bean can with the 22mm pipe from the boiler on the left-hand side, the 22mm pipe to the pump on the right, and the 15mm cold-feed on the left at the top and the 22mm vent on the right at the top. (I even knocked up an image, but couldn't paste in)

But essentially it looks like it does the same job.[/img][/list]

Sponsored Links
Is it something to do with the 'baked bean can' that joins the cold feed, flow pipes and vent together being sludged up?
Is this the definite cause of air entering my system (ooh er missus)?

could well be ;)

Cheers Kevplumb,

I had to remove the baked bean can about 7 years ago after I'd drained the system and it wouldn't fill. You wouldn't belive the sludge that was caked on those pipes, especially to 22mm to the boiler.
I put it all back with compression joints so it won't be too much grief to clean the bugger out.
Thing is, as bad as it was, I never had air entering the system, like I do now, and still can't understand how its finding its way to the same 3 rads.

Thanks very much for your help, much appreciated!

Cheers,
Ian

It is called an aerjec and is used to get rid of air out of the system.
Try cleaning it out first, or renewing. :D

Bahco,

Thank you for your additional help.
An aerjec? Boy, that sounds like a leg-pull.
Having had to cut it out before, I re-instated it with compression joints so another removal and clean out shouldn't be too fretfull.

Thanks, once again,

Ian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back