Air pressure switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
l have a problem with my boiler it is a Baxi solo 3 pfl 40 it will not ignite. The baxi has 5 lights displayed they are overheat, boiler on , fan on , , pilot on , and burner on , but when l switch the boiler on all that comes on is the boiler light and the fan light flickers on and off with a clicking sound. Someone had a look at it today and said it's more than likely the air pressure switch and to replace would cost about 100 pounds. The only test he done was blow/suck into the tube connected to the switch/fan , when he done this the fan was working. He also said it could be something else but would have to try the air pressure switch first. Is this right or can you know for sure if this is the problem.

Sponsored Links
Sounds as if it is the APS if it works when he manual operates it.

The APS is probably sticking in the Normally Closed position so that when it comes to refire the safety device kicks in and refuses to allow the boiler to continue firing.

First thing first though is to check that all the APS tubes are clear and the venturis are clear. Could be as simple as that.

I reallt dont understand how anyone can apparently come and diagnose the fault without charging.

We always charge to diagnose the fault and expect to proceed to get the part and fit it and recommission the boiler.

Its optional as once we are paid its up to the owner if they or their choice of person fixes it instead.

If we came free then all the plumbers in London would call us out to identify the fault so that they could then fix it and we would never get paid to do anything.

Tony

If we came free then all the plumbers in London would call us out to identify the fault so that they could then fix it and we would never get paid to do anything.

Similar to this web site then

Sponsored Links
Sounds as if it is the APS if it works when he manual operates it.

The APS is probably sticking in the Normally Closed position so that when it comes to refire the safety device kicks in and refuses to allow the boiler to continue firing.

First thing first though is to check that all the APS tubes are clear and the venturis are clear. Could be as simple as that.
He checked the pipe and it was clear. So presuming it's the APS and it may be sticking and this be fixed or does it mean a new part and could l buy the part and do it myself.
Also could someone tell me was the heating engineer right by saying we have to change the APS first and IF it was not that then we would have to look at the board, cannot this be check first and be sure what part needs replacing. It could work out expensive changing a part the might not need replacing and paying again for another part. So should he have known for definate what part wants changing.

It could work out expensive changing a part the might not need replacing and paying again for another part. So should he have known for definate what part wants changing.

Thats why we only charge for any faulty parts. If we were to replace a part which was not the cause then we would remove it and replace the original.

You seem to have managed to get some nupty without any business sense to come and try to diagnose the fault without charging you.

In that case I dont think you can expect him to take any responsibility for his "diagnosis". In fact I would expect that if he was only a half nupty then he might even mislead you as to the cause in case you decided to take advantage of him by trying to do it yourself.

Tony

It could work out expensive changing a part the might not need replacing and paying again for another part. So should he have known for definate what part wants changing.

Thats why we only charge for any faulty parts. If we were to replace a part which was not the cause then we would remove it and replace the original.

You seem to have managed to get some nupty without any business sense to come and try to diagnose the fault without charging you.

In that case I dont think you can expect him to take any responsibility for his "diagnosis". In fact I would expect that if he was only a half nupty then he might even mislead you as to the cause in case you decided to take advantage of him by trying to do it yourself.

Tony
And who said l did not get charged for the diagnose. You are presuming arn'nt you, is this how you go about your business.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back