Air Vent Cap top cylinder coil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an open vented system with a cylinder in the airing cupboard. There is what I believe is called an air vent cap or capillary air vent cap tee'd from the top pipe coil pipe entering the cylinder. it has a small grooved part which is threaded and screws up and down. I am curious as to the operation of this. Is it an automatic vent or is it used manually to bleed air from the cylinder coil - for example after draining the system?

Sponsored Links
So it operates like a bleed on a radiator? I ask because I am going to drain a bit from the system - only enough to change the circulator valves which are about a metre below the tank. Problem is I have a combined feed and expansion pipe. Will there be any issues with refilling the water drained with this set up?

Yes, it releases air from the HWC side.

I have a combined F&E pipe too (22mm), never had any issues apart from once having trouble removing air from the HWC side. Over a week the air eventually goes but can be helped by rocking the flow by changing the pump speed up and down every few seconds.

Sponsored Links
When refilling you can always try back-filling from the drain-cock (water filled hose connected to the drain-cock and forcing air out as it fills). You need someone in the loft to check the level in the F&E tank as you do this though!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back