vented cylinder vent pipe capped... advice..?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Been to see something I've not come across before. Have to replace a whole house pump for hot and cold water 'cos the old one's broken and it needs to be a negative head anyway. Cold feed to pump comes from cws in loft space and hot from cylinder. The hot comes straight out from the top of the cylinder and then Tees off into the pump. All perfectly normal so far. However, what should be the vent pipe has been capped with an air vent cap about a foot up from this. Any expansion can therefore only be back up the cold feed and any air can presumably be bled off the vent cap. There has been a fair bit more bodgy plumbing in the flat but this is the bit I'm not sure of. Is it likely to cause me problems..?

Any advice gratefully received, etc.

Cheers...

Sponsored Links
try disconnecting the cylinder stat you'll soon see.

surprised-004.gif

Wouldn't recommend you leave it like that, the vent is a critical safety warning pipe/device and must not be blocked/valved/obstucted in any fashion. It must also rise vertically to above CWS. If you leave it as such your wide open to any ramifications if there's a problem later on. The customer might not like you for pointing it out, just emphasis the safety factor.

Sponsored Links
Ok - thanks for that guys. You've pretty much told me what I thought anyway. I've certainly never seen this done before... They've had a loft conversion and presumably the builder found it easier to just cap the vent pipe than re-route all the pipework.

The customer told me that "he wasn't really a plumber... more a jack of all trades..."

"No kidding..." was my reply.

i know the local authority near me cap vent pipes off if the system is dragging air in, their theory is that it will vent and expand through cold feed
very naughty

And if the cold feed is turned off or becomes blocked the cylinder will implode :LOL:

lots of combined cold feed and vents round my way, never had a problem, all piped in 22mm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back