Air vent in boiler cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am a novice and also a newbie on DIYnot so apolgies for any procedural errors (please let me know) and would muc appreciate advice from oneof you experts.

I have a Potterton Flamingo 50 in a cupboard in a conservatory which is an extension at the back of the house. I have a service agreement with British Gas. On a recent inspection they told me that to conform with regs I need a lower vent on the door of the boiler cupboard. I got one fitted but on thir next visit the B/Gas engineer told me that it was much too small. The vent I have is around 24 cm sq and has 24 vents each about 10cm x .5cm, ie 120 sq cm air space. B/Gas say I need 361 sq cm free air space. I calculate this to mean that I need an air vent around 60 cm sq.

Are B/Gas correct? If not can you direct me to a suitable section of the regs that cover this? If they're correct, where can I get a vent of suitable size and can I then fit this to a door of 74 cm width?

Many thanks for your help, comments or questions.

Sponsored Links
.......in case you don't know, Open flued means a 100mm diameter round flue going upwards, and room sealed means a big squarish flue going out sideways through the wall.

getting a louver door is probably your best bet. To completely comply the slats in the louver should be 5-10mm.
(Assuming of course its an open flued boiler, and not BG being a bit over the top :D )

Sponsored Links
getting a louver door is probably your best bet. To completely comply the slats in the louver should be 5-10mm.
(Assuming of course its an open flued boiler, and not BG being a bit over the top :D )

"purpose provided and labelled ventilation must be provided." Thats not a louvered door!

"purpose provided and labelled ventilation must be provided." Thats not a louvered door!

Maybe, but you will get more than the right amount of ventilation and lets face it, using normal vents will look hideous. I know what I would do in my house :D

Maybe, but you will get more than the right amount of ventilation and lets face it, using normal vents will look hideous. I know what I would do in my house :D

rules are rules. :LOL:

I'm not fitting the door just suggesting it :D I was once told you couldn't make an AR into an NCS, it has to be put right. So i don't do it. But there's nothing stopping a householder doing it.

Thanks everybody so far. The boiler has a tube going upwards about 100mm diameter, poss a bit wider, so I take it that makes it open flued. Does anbody know how to check the regs and whether such large vents exist? I've got BG coming next week to quote for work although they've been pushing for a new boiler for a while now and I don't want to waste money if this isn't necessary.

Sorry, what does ' you couldn't make an AR into an NCS' mean :?:

I should have mentioned, I noted the louvre door suggestion - thanks again.

The 361cm2 they quoted sounds right for your boiler. They will have manufacturers instructions on their laptop so it will probably be bang on. As regards vents, just shop around see what you can find! But in my experience you will prop need 2 very large vent covers at the bottom, and 1 monster hole in your cupboard, hence my louver door suggestion :D
AR= At Risk. The situation you currently have, meaning the boiler could become dangerous.
NCS= Not to Current Standards, a situation which doesn't fully comply with regulations but is not unsafe in anyway.

Ask BG why no-one mentioned this before.
Ask BG why the first numpty didn't give you the the full facts.
Then tell them to p.. off, and get a competent Registered Gas Installer in.
They will determine the gross input to the boiler, work out the correct minimum ventillation to the cupboard, and the correct ventillation required to the room from outside.
Louvered doors are fine, if you stick on the correct warning notice.

Dangermouse i suggest you get the Corgi book out tonight and look at what is an industry standard vent

Thanks again gents (ladies?)

This may move the topic into another category but I measured the door and made it 71x29, which is about 1820x740 in new money. I looked around but couldn't find such a wide louver door. If I find one it'll probably be a bit larger so would need to saw ends off if poss or am into a new cupboard, so may need vents even if not pretty?

I'm pretty sure the ventilation to the conservatory is OK because BG have checked this. Their answer to why not mentioned before is change of standards.

The standards haven't changed, only the risk catagory has changed.
The three risk catagories are;
1, not to current standards
2, at risk
3, immediately dangerous
Your installation was never correct, and BG were always required to tell you that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back