Air vent in boiler cupboard

Your installation was never correct, and BG were always required to tell you that.

been to loads of jobs where cust "hasnt been told" and know for a fact that I have told them (and left paperwork) the year before.

Selective memory I think its called.

Sponsored Links
Why not just fit the vents? 361 sq cm isn't that big?
Eg a 346 mm x 244 mm .

ChrisR (and all)

As I said the vent I have is around 24 cm sq and has 24 air ducts each about 10cm x .5cm. I was told that this allows 24x10x0.5 ie 120 sq cm free air space. If I need 361 sq cm free air space then I calculate this to mean that I need a vent around 60 cm sq. Surely a 346 x 244 would only give me max 180 sq cm free air space? Otherwise how do you do your maths?

Your installation was never correct, and BG were always required to tell you that.

been to loads of jobs where cust "hasnt been told" and know for a fact that I have told them (and left paperwork) the year before.

Selective memory I think its called.

its more likely that the NCS was noted many years ago but in the intervening period no one has left or stated that it was NCS. now that its turned AR its been highlighted. this shouldn't happen much anymore as the new paperwork requires that a letter is left for defects on each visit unless the customer can provide a previous warning letter. that doesnt stop the lazy engineers not writing out the letters on each occasion of course.

Sponsored Links
ChrisR (and all)

As I said the vent I have is around 24 cm sq and has 24 air ducts each about 10cm x .5cm. I was told that this allows 24x10x0.5 ie 120 sq cm free air space. If I need 361 sq cm free air space then I calculate this to mean that I need a vent around 60 cm sq. Surely a 346 x 244 would only give me max 180 sq cm free air space? Otherwise how do you do your maths?

that doesnt make sense.

ignore the total size of the vent, the bits that have no slots on them are of no interest unless it physically wont fit the door.

if your current vent has 120cm2 free area then you need a vent with roughly three times the free area. vents that you can buy will typically have this printed on the packaging. if you have to work it out yourself its slot width x slot length x number of slots.

Thanks for all the feedback. I agree it was an NCS and later became an AR which means that the boiler is no longer covered by the service contract since March '08.

Can anyone advise whether/where it's possible to get a vent around 42cm sq (or any vent with 261sq cm free air space), or a louver door around 1820x740, or who to ask. Haven't found either yet. I understand that the max height of the top of the lower vent is 450mm.

If this is the correct requirement for the boiler (which seems to be confirmed) then I'm puzzled why suitable venilation is so hard to find.

You are allowed to fit more than one, so you can double up on what you already have. E>G> deduct the existing and add say an 250 x 250 top and bottom.

You need to work it out.

Just buy a louvre door and have done with it. It will look nicer than a door covered in vents.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back