Air ventilation in kitchen fail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, looking for some advice.
I have been in my new build property for 8 months.
The kitchen has an extractor above the hob but it re-circulates the air - really pointless.

I have an MVHR system in the house which comprises of one air vent in the ceiling of my kitchen. My kitchen is tiny 3mx2.2m.

What I am finding is that when I am cooking using the hob, the moisture from my pan is filling the entire kitchen with condensation. The MVHR has a 'boost' button which noticeably increases the suction noise, so it is working, but even with boost and the window open, still condensation everywhere. It is so bad, the floor becomes wet and you can write your name with your finger on the work surface doors, fridge and oven.

Last night I had a pan of pasta for one and a small pan with some mushrooms, not like I had all sorts bubbling away.

What is the solution here? I am still under my snagging period so can ask the builders to do something? My automatic thought would be to just vent the extractor above the hob.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If you have MHRV you cannot vent outside, as it will unbalance the system.

The MHRV must be poorly installed or badly setup, get them back to resolve that.

Sponsored Links

The MHRV must be poorly installed or badly setup, get them back to resolve that.
Thank you all for your posts. Will add it to snagging list and get them back in.

Some systems will dump kitchen extract as little heat is recoverable from cooking and does not have to unbalance system ( non return valves etc used )

Some systems will dump kitchen extract as little heat is recoverable from cooking and does not have to unbalance system ( non return valves etc used )
With the kitchen being so small, I thought a vent on the extractor would have been be best bet personally. The MHRV seems to do well in the bathroom when taking a shower on a cold day, so it does seem to be running as expected. I had been tempted to get some of those smoke sticks the builders use and set them off in areas like the kitchen and see if it clears the room and also if I can see the smoke coming out of the vents in the roof tiles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back