Airbag issue renault Laguna

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could anyone help me on this:

I have a renault laguna 1.8 2002 which the drivers side electric window need repair. Now for that obviously I need to open the inside of the door to access the window but I'm worried in doing that because I know this car id fited with side airbags which I'm afraid to interfere with them while I accessing the window. Is there any danger in this or should I just do it with no worry?

Sponsored Links
I'm not an expert on your car on on airbags, although I have a few years motor trade experience so this advice is as far as I'm aware....

basically I think you'll be fine. As far as I know airbags tend to be mounted not in the door itself, but in the surroundig trim, like the door post. Also, the airbags need a current sent to them to be triggered, so if you accidentally disconnect it or something you'd be fine. It'll only go off if you somehow managed to connect it to a live wire... unlikely but not impossible. (By the way don't bank on it being OK with the battery diconnected, the modules sometimes have capacitors that will stor charge to trigger the bag if needed.) (Oh, & it's explosive so don't get your fag near it....) i think thats it..!

There are no airbags in the door of a 2002 Laguna so its quite safe to change the window reg.

Andy - To set an airbag off you dont need a live wire, static can do the job just fine, altho most modern airbag inflators incorporate a bridge wire that comes into contact when the connector is removed to kill any potential difference in the terminal ends :)

On a side note - I set off 5 seatbelt tensioners yesterday, which was nice :cool:

The bag won't be in the door, but the sensor which sets the bag off could well be.
If you're worried about it, disconnect the battery and leave for 15 mins or so before working in that area, that way its all safe.
Any airbag wires will be in a yellow sleeve so you know which ones to be careful around.
If you find you have to unplug the sensor or anything whilst doing the window reg, then make sure the batt is off, otherwise you'll probably end up with a warning light on the dash you'll have to pay renault to switch off for you.

Sponsored Links
Im pretty certain there a no sensors in the door, the side impact sensors are at the bottom of the B pillar if I remember correctly :)

Thanks alot guys. Got the job done easier than I thought. Renault dealer wanted to sell me the regulator and motor for 400 euro + but I just bought a new regulator for 140 euro with no motor. 90 % of cases theres nothing wrong with motor so dont go and buy straight away of renault delear. They are way to expensive!

Back