airbag light on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a nissan micra V reg. it had a slight bump and the bumper was replaced. since then the airbag waring light has came on. is there a way to get rid of this?

Sponsored Links
Well... you see the light is there for a reason: the fact it is lit suggests that there is a damaged sensor or connection.

Was the light on before you had the bumper replace, or did it come on AFTER replacement. If it is after, it is possible that it was damaged during bumper replacement, or just disconnected.

As this is safety equipment you really need to get it sorted as soon as possible at your local Nissan garage. I should imagine if you crash and the insurance companies can prove the airbag light was on before you drove the car, then you will have a hard time claiming for any injuries you sustain that put you out of work.

Would you drive around with a broken seatbelt? :confused:

Same thing has happened to me on my primera.

Nissan want £850 for a new wheel, they plugged it in and said there was a fault on the aigbag control unit in the steering wheel, so it needs to be replaced.

I've bought onesecond hand for £50 and all is now well.

If its after the crash then go back to your insurance company if they were involved.

Good luck!!

dombe said:

How are you sure?

You will feel really glad for that £800 you saved if you have an accident and it turns out the secondhand wheel was faulty. :confused:

A Peugeot dealer told me that he has heard of cars being written off after relatively minor bumps where the airbag went off, because the cost of replacement is so high (especially for the passenger airbag, side airbags etc.). That was around the time Renault had problems with Clio 172 airbags going off during emergency stops, wonder if they repaired or replaced?

Sponsored Links
AdamW said:
dombe said:

That was around the time Renault had problems with Clio 172 airbags going off during emergency stops, wonder if they repaired or replaced?

As a 172 owner (twice) and some-one who corresponds with Jeremy Townsend, Clio Brand Manager, I've never heard anything about Clio airbags deploying during emergency stops. I think this one's down to rumours.

If I remember you can have it re-set at the main dealer. Air bags lights
up when you first start up your car, and goes of after a few seconds
this is the sensor working. If it stays on, 75% of the time its the sensor
at fault,
Quick Fit

Better yet, disable and disconnect the airbags entirely. The things have been responsible for many injuries and fatalities.

Paul_C Posted:

Better yet, disable and disconnect the airbags entirely. The things have been responsible for many injuries and fatalities
I wouldn't go as far as that. What I would say is that the car I have wasn't bought because it had 6 airbags or ABS or crumple zone I could go on. How many people do buy cars for the safety features (especially on 2nd hand cars).
Legislation puts these items on to cars & they do it because statistics dictate.

Quick Fit said:
If I remember you can have it re-set at the main dealer. Air bags lights
up when you first start up your car, and goes of after a few seconds
this is the sensor working. If it stays on, 75% of the time its the sensor
at fault,
Quick Fit

i will eventually get round to it. eventually.

Airbags going off in your face can cause injuries, but usually they don't.

There are a few critical issues you really do have to address tho', things like:
I WON'T ..... Glue that natty looking: Badge, Logo, Model of the leaning tower of Piza to my air-bag cover. (They fly off & Bang you on the nose)
I WON'T.... Wear glasses that have groovy shapes on the arms of butterflys, stars, marital aids, etc etc (They get bent & cut your face)
I WON'T.... Drive in such a way that my arm(s) are over the centre of the steering wheel (If you do & the bag is deployed your arm will either be broken & or zoom towards your face & damage it painfully)

PLEASE, PLEASE ALSO:
Don't put "Stuff" on the back shelf, when you hit things it whizzes forwards at astounding speed & burys itself in either ...... The back of your head, neck, seat & or dashboard etc etc ............. This includes the DOG..... Get a freakin' pet carrier attachment....... 30 Kg of Rover the family pooch will snap your head clean off, when flying after a crash ....... OK it might kill the dog too, but dogs is lucky, it'll prolly just get up & bite the paramedic trying to scoop your sorry remains into a carrier bag :LOL:

i have a nissan micra V reg. it had a slight bump and the bumper was replaced. since then the airbag waring light has came on. is there a way to get rid of this?

The seatbelts often have tensioners, that are linked to the airbag, but often overlooked on repair, as the seatbelts are 'pulled', at the same time as airbag deployment...

But if the company just did bodywork repair, maybe overlooked this?

The airbag can be diagnosed, as can the main ECU, so that is something to look into, and ask the garage why they didn't resolve this?

So at the moment you are driving a car that has a potentially lethal flaw, that could kill you, due to dealer/repairers negligence, that a few years ago wasn't an issue, but if you were in another collision, and it comes to light that there are these issues, and you didn't resolve them, but you are dead, then the blame lies at your door, even though you made moves to actually resolve them.

So get your car taken back to where it was 'repaired', and get resolution. And don't drive it there.

Most modern cars can have their ECU/Airbag ECU/Gearbox ECU read by simple kit available from Halfrauds. I can get the codes for mine by shorting out a couple of terminals and reading a binary code, easily available on the web. (Sadly, I know many off by heart!), your car is telling you that in the event of an accident, the airbag, that the car was designed around, may or may not respond in an emergency..and you could die.

Although an airbag light could also indicate that the passenger airbag has been deactivated.

Get it checked.

Sponsored Links
Back