Aircon Unit and Ringmain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm converting a garage and have two free slots on the CU, which I need for the ringmain and lighting circuit which will go in there.

I also want to put in a fixed Aircon unit, 3Kw, and I want to know if I can put this on the new ringmain or if there are any regs which say it must be on it's own circuit.

I won't be wiring this in myself, but I want to avoid a whole new CU if possible.

Sponsored Links
It is recommended that any fixed appliance which takes 2kw> is on it's own circuit.

There is no specific regulation, but is is recommended that any fixed load greater than 2kW should not be fed off a ring circuit.

feed the lighting circuit off a fused spur from the ringmain and then you have a spare slot for your air con...

don't forget that an air con will need a C or D type breaker because of the starting currents..

Sponsored Links
I see no information in the corrigendum about the connection of loads to a ringmain..

the diagram has been altered to replare "as a rule of thumb" with "historically" with regards to floor area served by a ring or radial, and a no longer used BS number for FCU's has been removed.

where is this correction you mention?

don't forget that an air con will need a C or D type breaker because of the starting currents..
I have NEVER seen an air conditioner on a D breaker. Most I have seen on C's, mine at home is on the ring main, on a B32 - its 2kw.

The fact is most quality air conditioners will cope on a B breaker.

I don't suppose it makes any difference that it's Energy Rated A for efficiency? ;) I already have a portable aircon unit which is upstairs which just plugs into a 13A socket, this new one comes with a 13 amp plug and so I expect it would do the same, I just wanted to make a better job of it than that...

So, all things considered, it's not the recommended method, but I could technically put it on the ringmain and it would still pass for Part P etc?

sorry, I'm used to industrial things that sit on Tesco roofs etc.. 150A 3phase jobbies...

I have NEVER seen an air conditioner on a D breaker. Most I have seen on C's, mine at home is on the ring main, on a B32 - its 2kw.

The fact is most quality air conditioners will cope on a B breaker.

As long as the loop is low enough, it shouldn't be a problem.

These days air conditioners have soft start gear, so will work happily with B type MCBs. They don't cause voltage dips like the old ones did either.

Don't mix duty with load. A 3.5kw duty inverter air con will pull 4 amps max these days full load but start at around 1a..Even the old DOL units will happliy live on a 13a fused spur.

Cheers

Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back