Airlock with no leak in home heating system (oil)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We are plagued with a problem that our plumber seems to be out of his depth with, though he is a really nice guy.

I am almost daily having to go to the water pump at the back of my oil boiler and bleed the air out as it gets airlocked. Two upstairs radiators are collecting an airlock which has to be bled weekly. So the heating will go on at night, off in the early hours but not come on in the morning (sometimes we get two or three days out of it). Letting the air out at the pump always fixes it.

Now the pump has been changed, the pipe below it has been changed and I have scoured everywhere for signs of water leaking (as I am assuming if air gets in water must get out?). I can hear no trickling at the header tank.

Our system is an old type oil boiler outside the house, beside the oil tank, with a pipe underground going to the house. Once in the house there is a two way split for upstairs and downstairs, each with it's own valve that is controlled by the thermostat. My plumber seems totally confused by this setup and assures me it is not normal these days.

At this point I just don't know what to do. I feel like I could spend thousands pulling the place apart to try and find out what this is and I just don't know who to call as you see so much on the TV's these days of bogus tradesmen and how do you know you have a good one?

I would appreciate any advice you can give me as going out the back in the cold every day or two to bleed the airlock in the pump is driving me bonkers. I am in Northern Ireland by the way.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Poor design of system, fit auto air vents,

Thanks. Would you mind elaborating on that? If I am armed with enough information I can take it to a heating engineer or plumber (not sure which I need).

Re design the pipe work, so it cant pull air in or fit auto air vents and live with it.

Sponsored Links
This did not happen for the first 14 years of it's existence, so I am also very worried about where or how the air is getting in.

If he doesn't.......................It's time to find a new Plumber! :LOL:

Go to a sealed system.
A vented system has no place in modern residential heating system.
Problem sorted.

Well I am sort of stuck with what I have got - I just wish I could find where the air is coming in. I will try a different plumber and see if that helps. So far it seems like nobody can find where the air is getting in.

I am a computer programmer/electronics guy and I know how to troubleshoot and solve those types of problems. Just very surprised that after over a year my plumber can't seem to get it right.

Any advice on who I should hire and how to tell if they know what they are doing? Surely someone can solve this without ripping out the entire plumbing and heating system and changing it to a different system.

No the fix is easy. Sealed system kit. Remove header tank.
Job sorted.

There is the possibility you have an electric problem causing the generation of hydrogen. Try setting light to the "air" coming out of the system.

Otherwise sealed system kit. Contains expansion vessel, pressure relief pipe and filling loop. Job sorted.

Hmmm... I am getting big static shocks off the radiators - would that be indicative of a hydrogen problem? It dark now so I cannot try and light the exhaust.

It is just a static shock I get from the radiator, as if I touch a radiator a second time shortly after I get no shock.

Starting to wonder if you are onto something here.

Hmmm... I am getting big static shocks off the radiators - would that be indicative of a hydrogen problem? It dark now so I cannot try and light the exhaust.

It is just a static shock I get from the radiator, as if I touch a radiator a second time shortly after I get no shock.

Starting to wonder if you are onto something here.

No you light the air coming out of the central heating pipework/radiator.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back