Alcove unit - construction advice for a novice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this is a well-worn subject, but I'm planning on constructing an alcove unit, similar in design to this:

blocks_image_0_1.png

From reading various sites, I understand that these units are generally constructed from a simple frame, and then panels are then attached to the front fascia to finish.

What I'd really like to know is what materials I should be using for the framing and finishing?

I'm aware that the job could be made easier by ordering from Jali or similar, however they do seem to be expensive for what is essentially MDF flat-pack, and there's much more fun and satisfaction to be gained from designing and building from scratch!

Thanks in advance for any advice or tips

Sponsored Links
If you're planning on painting your finished article, then tulipwood (poplar) is the perfect choice for your frames.

Its more stable and less resinous than redwood, and not much more expensive. BUT, you will be unlikely to find pre-machined tulip, and will have to plane it yourself or take it to your nearest joiners.

Tulip is also very straight grained and usually knot-free. And it takes glue and paint very well.

Incidentally, the case will need to be assembled (from MDF or tulip-wood ply - veneered or plain) and the frame then fixed to the front of the case (using biscuits to help with the alignment and to strengthen the glue-joint). You'll need sash cramps (but you'll need some for the frames anyway).

The doors can also be made with frames and the panels fitted into grooves in the door members (machined before assembly).

Your photo is of a cabinet that is NOT made with a frame - its just a case with doors butting up to the front edge of the case and a slab sitting on the top. My advice above is for a better quality framed cabinet (this is the difference between top quality kitchen units and budget units).

How are you planning on making the cornice?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back