Aldi Workzone compressor deals

I don't know if a regulator "replenishes" that makes it sound like some sort of accumulator, whereas in fact it's only a pressure operated valve.
All a regulator does is automatically turns off or lessens the flow from the receiver (in the case of an air compressor) when the desired outlet pressure is reached.

Sponsored Links
I don't know if a regulator "replenishes" that makes it sound like some sort of accumulator, whereas in fact it's only a pressure operated valve.

That's how they work. If you turn it down, listen to it venting off. Then use the air, watch the gauge. Stop the demand and listen to it refilling with set pressure. As you say, it's a pressure operated valve, but a regulated valve(not just a valve) and the pressure needs to get back in, not just dissapear.

Yes, with all due respect I know how they work. When you hear the "venting off" when you turn it down, that air is from the output side and is lowering the pressure to that set. Saying it needs to "replenish" is like saying the flow from a domestic tap is replenished from the supply side. It may be true, but it's just a flow really.
Semantics maybe?
The air you can hear when you use some is simply that which is needed to re pressurise the pipework and hose etc. to that set. The regulator itself doesn't really have anywhere to replenish as such, or at least only the small volume around the diaphragm.

Yes, with all due respect I know how they work. When you hear the "venting off" when you turn it down, that air is from the output side and is lowering the pressure to that set. Saying it needs to "replenish" is like saying the flow from a domestic tap is replenished from the supply side. It may be true, but it's just a flow really.
Semantics maybe?

Not entirely semantics, I know where you're coming from, but it's not just flow or reduced flow, it's regulated flow. The regulator doesn't just let you have all that's behind it, it regulates that output and will empty if your cfm is greater than it can deliver, until it's replenished. You'll see the guage rise again as it lets more air into it from the receiver. And the reciever still has a pressure in it higher than the electric pressure switch threshold, so there's plenty to give the regulator.

Sponsored Links
you are getting this all wrong mate, your first gauge (nearest) the motor tells you how much air is in your tank at any time, 2 nd gauge nearest where you attach airline is a regulator, it allows you to regulate how much air flow comes out of the compressor. when you run low on air. you cannot set the amount of air to the tank as you could on a large compressor. All you can do is set the airflow coming OUT of your tank. if you main gauge is still reading 8 bar after using the compressor for something, and the motor has not kicked in to start filling the tank again you got a fault.

you are getting this all wrong mate

No I'm not - everything's working just fine. Have another read.

your first gauge (nearest) the motor tells you how much air is in your tank at any time, 2 nd gauge nearest where you attach airline is a regulator, it allows you to regulate how much air flow comes out of the compressor.

All guages are near the outlets. The first one is the regulated outlet pressure, the other one is the non regulated and tank pressure - nothing to do with flow.

when you run low on air. you cannot set the amount of air to the tank as you could on a large compressor. All you can do is set the airflow coming OUT of your tank.

Yeah, we know that.

if you main gauge is still reading 8 bar after using the compressor for something

Then I've only taken a small volume of air away - which was the problem - the regulator was sticking, but it isn't anymore.

and the motor has not kicked in to start filling the tank again you got a fault.

When it drops to 6 bar, the motor kicks in.

Semantics maybe?

Not entirely semantics, I know where you're coming from, but it's not just flow or reduced flow, it's regulated flow. The regulator doesn't just let you have all that's behind it, it regulates that output and will empty if your cfm is greater than it can deliver, until it's replenished. You'll see the guage rise again as it lets more air into it from the receiver. And the reciever still has a pressure in it higher than the electric pressure switch threshold, so there's plenty to give the regulator.

The difference you are seeing on the output gauge is the difference between the outlet side being open or closed. That is the tool or equipment connected being "on" or "off"
That's what makes the regulator work. When the pressure in the outlet side is balanced via the diaphragm (assuming it's a diaphragm regulator) against the spring which is tensioned by the knob to the desired setting, it is at the null point and the valve in the regulator connected to the diaphragm is off. When the pressure in the outlet side drops, that is when a tool is used, the diaphragm moves, and opens the valve which allows air to flow from the high pressure side, the receiver, to try to bring the pressure back up in the outlet side to that set, in doing that it supplies the air being used, the diaphragm will then move in and out opening and closing the valve to try to keep the pressure at the set level depending on the air used. It's a continuous process.
You won't empty the regulator if you try to take more air than is available. What will happen is that the pressure will drop in the receiver until it is at whatever pressure can be maintained by the compressor for that load. The regulator will simply be fully open in that event assuming the pressure in the outlet is below the set level. If the pressure in the receiver drops below the set output pressure , then the pressure will be pretty well the same at that time right through the system.
Whatever. I'm glad to hear you've fixed yours. It only takes a bit of muck in them to make them stick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back