All this rain for past 2 weeks caused a leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Had a water leak which has shown itself on the bedroom ceiling. It seems the water (after the constant rain fir the past 2 weeks) has somehow gotten under the flashing and seeped through gap in the slates on the roof. it soaked the wood that the slates are nailed to, to the point that the water was dripping and soaking my bedroom ceiling.

I've had someone come round who quoted me £120 to heat some Flash band and put over the existing flashing. he did say it's a temporary fix and may last 1-5 years. Bear in mind i showed him the leak from inside the loft so he could see exactly where it was coming in from. Now the rain has stopped the wood seems to have dried up. The leak is at the front of the roof which is north facing. I cant lie - the roof is OLD (victorian masionette) and compared to next door's roof which was done a couple of years ago - you can see that it needs doing.

£120 doesn't sound too bad but i dont want to pay for a cheap job with cheap materials if it's only going to leak again. im sure Wickes sell the flashing for about £20 and if i didn't have vertigo i'd give it a go myself with Flashband

Can anyone advise if using flashband is best idea for temp fix (thinking of loft convesrion in next 18months). Or should i get something a bit more solid i.e lead/steel etc?

i probably need more quotes but paranoid about being shafted. any recommendations for roofers in london (west london) appreciated

Thanks

Marcus

Sponsored Links
You`re right - there is about a ton . for labour :eek: . no point in heating the flashband - reduce the profit by a tenner and prime the surface and the brick ;) then it`ll stick like s*** to an army blanket . it`ll then certainly last until you have the roof conversion done in 18 months . Problem is getting someone in The Smoke who actually is competent :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back