Alpha CB28 CH temperature "all or nothing"

TMR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Alpha CB28 CH circuit is getting very hot even with the CH thermostat on the control panel turned down very low.

Typically I set the CH thermostat in the range 2-4 and the pressure runs between 1 and 1.5 bar.

The behaviour now is that with the CH thermostat at 2 the rads are getting very hot and pressure rises up to 2 bar. Pressure actually seems to be nudging up slowly beyond there. Sometimes turning the thermostat down to zero stops the beast running, but sometimes it needs to be turned off and reset. I've not let it run to an overheat, nor do I know for sure that that would actually happen.

This behaviour does seem intermittent in that it fired up from cold this morning and ran fine for 5 hours before today's oddness began.

It also seems that if I exercice very fine control between 0 and 1 I can get some level of control of temperature, but I don't think one should need fingers with the sensitivity of a safe-cracker in order drive your central heating.

I'm guessing something is wrong either with the primary temperature sensor thermistor (a cheap fix) or it's a PCB problem. Any thoughts, other than to replace those parts starting with the cheapest?

I am not going to attempt to fix this myself, it's just I like to get my head round things before I engage an engineer.

Finally, there is an inspection hole on the back of the PCB casing which gives access to a couple of pots on the PCB. What does the CH CAP pot do?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back