Alpha CB28 ignition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone advise on fixing an ignition problem with a Alpha CB28 boiler.

I can hear it trying repeatably to ignite and eventually after several attempts it finally manages to light. I suspect the problems going to get worse or even pack-up all together unless I do something.

thanks
Andy

Sponsored Links
As this sounds gas related, my only advice is to call in a RGI who is good with Alpha's ;)

yer gonna have to get an RGI in bud,

we are in combustion chamber country,

gas valve, flame rectification device, ignition transformer, HT lead

Thanks for the advise (so far)

Before I start searching for a RGI who can fix Alpha boilers (seem a rare breed) I just wanted to be able to talk intelligently about the problem. I just have an inbuilt fear of being ripped off by someone sucking their teeth down their throat whilst shaking their head.

So, is this a typical (all makes, models) combi boiler problem that's easily fixed at reasonable cost ?

Andy

Sponsored Links
Could be a typical problem that affects all makes of combi, but being Alpha it will cost you twice as much due to the cost of Alpha parts :mad:

Just found the manual and according to the trouble shooting guide if you can hear the spark generator making a clicking noise (which I can) then it suggest checking the spark gap and position of the electrodes.

Is this a RGI job ?

Andy

Before I start searching for a RGI who can fix Alpha boilers (seem a rare breed) I just wanted to be able to talk intelligently about the problem. I just have an inbuilt fear of being ripped off by someone sucking their teeth down their throat whilst shaking their head.

Andy

Any coimpetent boiler engineer should be able to work on any Alpha.

I really dont know why you think that you are going to choose a cowboy.

The vast majority of gas boiler engineers are reasonable. But how you choose someone has a big effect of what experience you get!

BG do a fixed price repair but as its basically working I dont expect it will need any major parts and is most likely to be under £100 to sort out.

You could call Apha and ask for details of their local service agents.

Tony

Andy

Any coimpetent boiler engineer should be able to work on any Alpha.

I really dont know why you think that you are going to choose a cowboy.

The vast majority of gas boiler engineers are reasonable. But how you choose someone has a big effect of what experience you get!

BG do a fixed price repair but as its basically working I dont expect it will need any major parts and is most likely to be under £100 to sort out.

You could call Apha and ask for details of their local service agents.

Tony

Thanks for the info Tony,
I had the boiler installed 4 yrs ago and the guy who fitted it has since left the country (no as a result of his work I might add). I had it serviced about a year ago by a company who mainly do industrial work and they have now stopped all domestic activities. I checked the Yellow pages and searched the web and whilst you can find people quoting just about every make of boiler it's very rare (in fact I haven't seen any in my area) to see anyone specifically mentioning Alpha. I did ring a couple of Heating (Gorgi registered) guys,, the first said he had no experience of Alpha's didn't particularly like them and recommended I look for someone with Alpha experience. The next guy said mmm don't know a lot about Alpha's but I'll take a look, have you thought about changing it for a Baxi or a Whorster,, I said I'd let him know .....

Hope that expians my sceptism ... but I'll contact Aplha direct as you suggest ..

thanks
Andy

These are certainly less common boilers but any good boiler engineer will have no difficulty repairing them.

What do you think is the point of filling up an advert with the names of all the boilers on the market?

Suppose I mentioned Gem and Geminox, these are minority boilers which I will repair but do not need to be named in any advert.

Tony

I did ring a couple of Heating (Gorgi registered) guys,, the first said he had no experience of Alpha's
not much experience then

didn't particularly like them
With no experience of them he must have a powerful crystal ball, not someone I would want near my boiler, sounds like some kind weardo who knows stuff by intuition rather than clear engineering logic

and recommended I look for someone with Alpha experience.
or just someone with experience

The next guy said mmm don't know a lot about Alpha's
so clearly opening gambit is I am poor at my job.
but I'll take a look,
but I am a tinkerer
have you thought about changing it for a Baxi or a Whorster,,
but my real reason for coming is the economy is bad I haven't done a combi swap for 6 months and would sell m,y granny to get one

I said I'd let him know .....

Wisest thing you've said.

Hope that expians my sceptism ...

A very wise man

but I'll contact Aplha direct as you suggest ..
defo

Regardles of what many say Alphas are top boilers I used to fix them and found it such an easy life. They are really easy to fix any proper repair person could fix one. The problem is finding one. Just aswel you haven't got an Ideal Response.

I have a similar problem with my alfa cb 25 combi boiler on all time runs on room thermostat so that is surposed stop and start it but has a mind of its own its perfect sometimes then nothing .I changed the room thermostat thinking it was that no change, guess it wasnt that then and funny the plumber wot installed it with all the rads six years ago has gone to live in australia ha :confused:

funny the plumber wot installed it with all the rads six years ago has gone to live in australia ha :confused:

I suppose that you could say that he went as far away from the boilers he had installed as he possibly could!

Tony

Serviced a Cb24X today. Same as yours but lower output. It has to be one of the easiest boilers to get into. All the parts are ok to get at and there isn't a huge amount to go wrong. They aren't my favourite boilers to install as they don't look as they will last that long but, that said, most long lasting boilers don't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back