Altech thermostat to Nest

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I would like to challenge myself with the installation of a Nest thermostat to replace an old and partially faulty Altech wireless.
I have no prior experience in this type of job and I am wondering whether it's a good idea or not, but if I don't try I will never learn.

The Altech is currently wired via a Honeywell junction box. (Images attached) Can I leave the J box in place and just replace the receiver with the heatlink?

Many thanks in advance

Bill

Attachments

• 20200926_115131.jpg
    20200926_115131.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 393
  • 20200926_115119.jpg
    20200926_115119.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 648
Sponsored Links
You don't give us much to go on there. Assuming that you have a combi boiler and not a boiler hooked up to a separate hot water cylinder, then yes you can simply replace the Altech with a Nest. As you don't say which model of Nest, I will give you the instructions for Nest-e which is the easiest for DIY installation.

The Altech connections are as shown below:

Altech.jpg

The wires that are in the Altech NO and COM go to the Nest-e terminals shown below with wires connected to them that are also marked NO and C (COM) Simples! :)

Nest e.jpg

nest_thermostat_e_2.jpg

As Nest-e is battery powered, the wires presently in Altech L and N are not required anymore and can be either isolated, insulated and tucked safely out of the way. Or, disconnected and removed completely.

If there is a separate timeswitch or programmer elsewhere currently controlling the heating, then that will need to be set to be permanently 'on' to stop it interfering with the operation of the Nest.

The cable shouldn't just be left hanging loose, it should be secured or contained in trunking to prevent it being inadvertently pulled out of the terminals. It's currently a very poor quality installation.

If you want to use a different version of Nest, or have a system with stored hot water (aka hot water cylinder). Then things will be different. If this is the case, please post back.

Thanks for the prompt reply, and sorry for the scarcity of information.
The boiler is indeed a Vaillant combi.
The Nest is a 3rd gen, so yea, as you say, slightly different, and will need powered.

I've attached another image of the J box as previous one was blurry.

Thank in advance.

Attachments

• 20200926_154154.jpg
    20200926_154154.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 282
In that case, it's just a matter of moving the wires over exactly as they are, from the Altech to the Nest Heat link. The terminals have the same names on the two devices.

Capture.JPG

Altech L = Nest L

Altech N = Nest N

Altech COM = Nest (2) 'Heating Common'

Altech NO = Nest (3) 'Heating Call-for-Heat' Normally Open (or NO)

You can use a separate plug in power supply for the Nest thermostat, or alternatively connect it back to Heat link terminals T1 & T2. If you do wire the thermostat back to the Heat link, it will also require and earth connection making to the terminal adjacent to T1 & T2

Sponsored Links
hi again
so I went back to the shop and swapped the NEst 3rd gen for a Nest-e as it seemed easier to install.
Removed L and N that were left dangling from the Altech, connected NO and COM to the Nest, and then I went back to turn the mains on and the boiler now doesn't turn back on...

I've pulled out and rewired the coppers in the junction box in case there was a loose connection somewhere, but no joy. The boiler seems dead...

I had disconnected the Altech earlier, before connecting the Nest, and hot water and everything was still working fine. The boiler only stopped working after I plugged the wires back into the Nest.
I have tried to disconnect the Nest but the boiler remains dead.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• 20200928_222825.jpg
    20200928_222825.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 229
Ian it’s possible you’ve removed the L and N for the boiler? :eek: (The dangly bits)

No it was definitely the L / N going into the Altech.
The power is still connected between the junction box and the boiler (see photo)

Attachments

• 20200928_231015.jpg
    20200928_231015.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 232
Where does it take its power from? A spur? Is that on? have you checked for 230vac?

Last edited:
I don't think so. There's no fused switch for the junction box or the boiler. I isolated the mains from the fuse box.
The mains connection appear from the back of the J box coming out of the wall. (Attached photo)

Attachments

• 20200928_232037.jpg
    20200928_232037.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 250
There must be something, somewhere, as it’s 3 core flex coming out of the wall into JB then from that to the boiler. I doubt 3 core will be going to the consumer unit.

Nothing I can see or that I'm aware of the whole time I've lived here, apart from the fuse box switch (that isolates all the wall plugs in the boiler room, not just the boiler).
Sorry :(

Are there any other cables running into your boiler, besides the 3 core flex we see in the photo? Presumably there were two before you started? What happened to the second one?

Double check your wiring, I’ve highlighted in a red square, only the earth wire is showing copper strands, so you may have crimped onto the neutral insulation.

Are there any other cables running into your boiler, besides the 3 core flex we see in the photo? Presumably there were two before you started? What happened to the second one?

I think he’s removed them as there were another set of wires, but for the old thermostat.

Attachments

• 59C63085-DD6E-40D7-ABF4-76B348C036C0.jpeg
    59C63085-DD6E-40D7-ABF4-76B348C036C0.jpeg
    200.9 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:
Yes, the NO+COM cables still dangling out of the boiler. I've disconnected them from the Nest for the time being.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back