Altering wiring in a new build garage- opinions wanted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks

I'm about to move into a new build house and the builders have put run a feed from the house consumer unit to a smaller one in the detached garage with RCD on the light and socket circuits. The garage is 6Mx6M and now has a single socket and a single pendant. Before I get a sparky in to advise on the job I thought I'd pick some brains here.

What I actually want in the garage is 6 double sockets, 10 LED spotlights (ceiling going to be boarded to look nice), power for electric garage door opener, PIR controlled wall lights (LED) on garage entrance and some soffit LED down lights probably also PIR controlled.

I suspect the garage may get damp so think the new consumer unit should be IP 65 rated. I'd also be interested in using rcbo to give independent protection on every circuit. I realise it's probably overkill for what I need now, but it will hopefully give some options for future expansion too (depending on how things are wired to the house CU and size of cable that was used to connect the garage)

Has anyone done a similar install? If so what would be approx cost and which consumer unit did you use that was big enough for the rcbos and still have decent room to get the wires in

Regards to all

Paul

Sponsored Links
"the builders have put run a feed from the house consumer unit to a smaller probably utterly pointless one in the detached garage"

The garage is 6Mx6M
Then it does not need 10 lights.

power for electric garage door opener
Does that mean you plan to use it for a car/cars?

I suspect the garage may get damp
Then spend your time, energy and money fixing that before you do anything else. You can't keep vehicles in damp garages.

Has anyone done a similar install? If so what would be approx cost and which consumer unit did you use that was big enough for the rcbos and still have decent room to get the wires in
Can't you trust your electrician to use a CU which he finds OK?

Thanks for the replies

Not sure what the supply is yet as haven't had a chance to get into the house CU (or the spec of the cable used)

Regarding any damp - builders haven't used these kinds of bricks before so not sure of porosity- so unknown quantity so far. Won't aqua seal the walls because of the problems that can cause and don't want to dryline if I don't have to.

Number of lights is debatable - friend has a similar sized space with LEDs and its looks good and is functional - will be using Parking and maintaining race car.

Correct about the electrician- what about the idea of using rcbos?

P

Sponsored Links
I would stick with your existing cu.
and no rcbos. Unless using power tools at night with door closed.

Number of lights is debatable - friend has a similar sized space with LEDs and its looks good and is functional - will be using Parking and maintaining race car.
I'd be amazed if 10 LED torches recessed into the ceiling was the best, or even a reasonable, let alone good, way to light a race car workshop.

It's a new build so no need to look in the consumer unit it will all be written down on the installation certificate. It is both cable size and house MCB/RCBO which is important.

You need to know if RCD protected in house as pointless using RCBO in garage if uses a RCD in the house.

Seems they only build single skin garages but as it has 10yr guarantee I guess I probably shouldn't worry too much. The potential damp issue was brought up by the site manager who hadn't used a particular type of brick- hopefully the architects that specced it know what they're doing.

So if spots aren't a good idea what kind of flush fitting light source will best suit my need?

I've got good old fashioned fluorescent lights in my garage . 2 5' fittings in each garage plus a 4' above my workbench . Don't board the ceiling if you lose eaves storage. Your specified brick concerns me - an untried brick ? You don't want your race car getting damp

I've got good old fashioned fluorescent lights in my garage
Consider replacing them with good new-fashioned ones with HF ballasts - much safer when using good old fashioned fingermanglyhandchoppyarteryseveryeyepokeyoutey machines.

Don't board the ceiling if you lose eaves storage.
And possibly bugger up the ventilation, resulting in damp problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back