Garage wiring - advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, looking for some advice.

I have a garage with existing wiring from my consumer unit to the garage. A single 2.5mm T&E to a fused light switch and a single socket. Last year I built a summer house and installed the cabling for 2 double sockets and a pendant light switch. I ran 4mm armoured cable underground (20m long) and into my garage where it stops. I now need to get everything connected. I intend to replace the cable from the house to the garage. I intend to add 1 double socket in the garage at the same time, one of which will run a tumble dryer and the other a freezer. Id like to know...

1. What size of cable should I use going into the garage? (its about 4 m from the consumer unit). The summerhouse will not be supplying anything that will need a lot of power.
2. Will I need an RCD protected new consumer unit in the garage for my summerhouse supply and garage supply?
3. Anything else you might advise.

Much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Does your consumer unit have an RCD? If you intend to keep your FCU "fused light switch" (I assume it has a 13A fuse), then 2.5mm is fine, however I'd personally suggest a new radial for the garage or garden room on a 16A MCB (or both) as it will give you a bit more flexibility.

The existing consumer unit in the house is not RCD protected. At some point I intend to replace this too.

That 4mm to the summer house needs to originate from the consumer unit. That way the existing garage circuit can remain as it is.
This work (and your thoughts of a replacement consumer unit) is all notifiable work.

Is your garage attached to the house?

Sponsored Links
Yes, its not integrated but it is attached. The existing cable comes straight from the consumer unit through into the garage. It is on its own circuit. The problem I have, given your comment, is that the 4mm SWA cable stops within the garage. It is not long enough to connect to the consumer unit in the house.

I would extend it and allocate a circuit on the new CCU for the summer house. As TTC has suggested, it makes for a nice tidy job, and allows you to isolate each building if required. You may want to run a seperate circuit for the Freezer at the same time.

DS

Ok, thanks for the replies. I will extend the SWA cable and take it through to the CU in the house. As the SWA cable terminates in the garage currently, I assume I could take it to a junction box in the garage and then use PVC cable to the consumer unit inside the house?

Yes. A length of 4mm T&E, or larger will do it.
You'll need to use an appropriate box to terminate the SWA. You'll be using a proper SWA gland to provide earthing for the armour, or course!

You'll need to show the local authority bod all of this as part of your notification process.
Oh woops - you should already have raised a building notice before you started work..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back