wiring attached garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am after wiring my attached garage. The consumer unit as on the connecting wall so I'm assuming I just take a feed from the unit.

1. Am I allowed to do it or do I by law need an electrician to do it.
2. What size breaker should I use.
3. Even if I use the consumer unit do I still need a breaker in the actual garage (the consumer unit is on the connecting wall to the garage).

I'm looking to put approx 4 double sockets and a couple of lights connected to 2 two way switches (one at either end of garage to operate same light).
There is an electric garage door & freezer in there and im after the rest of the double sockets just for things like power drills, etc (no tumble dryer or washing machine).

Any help would be most appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
I am after wiring my attached garage. The consumer unit as on the connecting wall so I'm assuming I just take a feed from the unit.
1. Am I allowed to do it or do I by law need an electrician to do it.
2. What size breaker should I use.
3. Even if I use the consumer unit do I still need a breaker in the actual garage (the consumer unit is on the connecting wall to the garage).
1...As with any electrical work, anyone competent do the work can do it. However, you are talking about installation of a new circuit(s)', which is 'notifiable' work. You would either have to notify to LABC yourself (which can cost anything up to 'a few hundred pounds' depending on where you are), or else employ an electrician who is registered to 'self-certify' the work (at minimal cost).

2...That depends on the total load you want and the cable that will be used. From what you describe of your needs, a 20A 'radial circuit' using 2.5mm² cable (and a 3A fused connection unit, 'FCU' off that for the lighting) might well be adequate, in case you would need a 20A breaker (MCB). The new sockets (if not also some of the wiring) would require RCD protection - so that if your CU does not alreadt afford that, this would also have to be addressed.

3...Not necessarily - see (2) above.

Kind Regards, John

If it's a new circuit then you'll need a sparky to design, install and sign off AFAIK.

The experts professionals on here will give you better advice though....

B

Don't suppose anyone know a rough estimate of costs to employ someone to do it or just sign it off once I have done the wiring?

Sponsored Links
Don't suppose anyone know a rough estimate of costs to employ someone to do it or just sign it off once I have done the wiring?
Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that, unless you find a 'criminal' electrician. The person who does the 'signing off' has to declare that (s)he was responsible for all the designing, construction and testing of the work - which clearly could not be the truth if you had done the wiring.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back