Alternative solid wall insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have been looking at using celotex for some internal insulation to my solid walls, which currently have lath/plaster with about an inch or so air gap at the back.

I've been told by someone recently who did it this way that its s good idea but want to check any pros and cons first.

He left the lath/plaster in place, fitted 50mm celotex direct to plaster, so there are no joists/stud work just celotex right next to each other with the Alu tape sealing the joins.

Then fitted std plasterboard over the top and skimmed.

Is this ok to do? I like the idea of less mess, and still leaves an inch or so air gap on the interior brickwork for air movement,

If you were screwing through the plasterboard/celotex presumably that would breach the dpm is that ok given its just a screw or should they then be sealed over with something different

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
Well forget what your mate said use celotex PL4000 it will save you a lot of time.

Meant the damp proof membrane foil that backs the celotex and boards? I take it its acceptable to screw through it?

If I was using the plasterboard backed celotex is it still ok to just fit over the existing lath/plaster? Not too concerned about saving an inch or two in the rooms, but seemed to make sense there would still be an air gap behind and I wouldn't have to make up any new stud work?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back