Alternatives to Keston boilers - need narrow flue

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by simonc1, 25 Oct 2010.

1. simonc1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'm looking to have a boiler installed that has a narrow flue - perhaps 50mm, due to its location within a listed building. The keston is attractive as it offers a narrow flue, but there are lots of questions about reliability.
    Is the keston range as bad as people make out? If it is, can anyone recommend a manufacturer who offers a narrow flue option?

Thanks.

2. 45yearsagasman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Baxi have boilers that use either a concentric flue or can be adapted for twin flue use which is what your Keston uses.Not sure of exact models but we have a few Baxi guys on here who will be able to advise.

3. SimonH2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I was about to ask much the same question - are Keston as bad as people make out ? I've been puzzling how to do the flue when I have to change the boiler as the garage doesn't have an outside wall. I've had a couple of people to look and they want to go through the bin store and come out on the steps (thigh height coming down, face height going up), and then run a plume diversion kit half way across the wall to get the flue away from people. Now I don't like lots of external pipework, and I really don't want loads of flue all over the back wall.

The garage door is set in from the back wall of the property to form a carport sort of space with the bin store off it. The current (old) boiler flue dischrages into this space and it's not really acceptable as it creates wetness that has already made the boarding fall off. It wouldn't meet regs anyway for a new install.

To run a flue out from here would mean going over the steel RSJs that support the back wall - and there's only about 2" gap before I'd have to cut into the blocks of the floor above. When the guy at the plumbers merchant told me about the Keston boilers with the 50mm plastic pipe I thought this could be just the ticket. I am rather concerned about their poor reputation though.

I've just had a read of the manual for the Baxi Solo HE range. I reckon I could probably manage the 70mm plume diversion flue pipe, BUT I'd have to take the flue extension either (depending which way I routed the concentric flue) :
    - straight off the end of the concentric flue (ie just extend the central tube in-line) or
    - fit the plume diversion kit with the outlet horizontal (the manual specifies it to be vertical).

I don't think the Baxi twin flue setup would work for me - firstly the pipes are a bit big, and all the diagrams show them being recombined to a concentric terminal.

4. mickyg

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    if you can manage 80mm, you could use a twin flue adaptor off most boilers(glowworm, atag etc...). and yes kestons really are that bad.
    Remember all joints of any flue will need to be accessible for inspection

5. transam

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The only other boiler that I know off that used a keston type set up be it in ally not plastic was the Quantum ?? but I think ?? that they ceased production not to long ago ????????? cannot remember who they were something ? engineering up north ? stainless steel engineering firm make parts for BA ?? (maybe)

6. picasso

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  7. pampers

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Keston are worse than you have heard truly a stack of steaming (well usally not steaming when i see em as they broken) poop.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. SimonH2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom

9. Boilerman2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    There are Kestons, but there are no OLD Kestons!!! ;)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. ChrisR

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It's Ok we know you're a stoolie from the Viessmann factory up the road from you ;)
    They're okay - nothing special and a bit expensive, not particularly reliable, come with a lot of hype ...

11. gassafeengineer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    dont buy a keston ever never ever ever no way. do without heat before you get one of them

12. jimstreet

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Baxi/potterton do the powermax boiler which uses twin flue, and this is not plastic flueing, its metal.

oh yeah and nearly forgot to slate keston boilers before i left!! i would rather have intimate relations with my dad, before fitting a keston, or reccomending them, they are awfull boilers!!

13. SimonH2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Twin flue isn't uncommon - the manuals for most of the boilers I've looked at have included details of twin flue setups. However, the flues are 80mm and so for me not much better that a standard 60/100 concentric flue. Actually, I think that's about the size of a plume diversion kit on most systems - so that could be one other option.

As far as I can tell, the Powermax is an attempt at an integrated thermal store & boiler - what little I can find on them isn't complimentary about their reliability :rolleyes:

14. jimstreet

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    As far as I can tell, the Powermax is an attempt at an integrated thermal store & boiler - what little I can find on them isn't complimentary about their reliability :rolleyes:[/quote]

yes simon, the powermax is a thermal store, but i have worked on a few powermaxes over the last few years, and pretty much all i have ever changed is pumps, and plate to plate h/e. so not too bad reliability

15. kevplumb

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    tbf

just about anything is better than a keston :cry: