Alternatives to Zinsser Peel Stop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am painting a staircase. The treads will be black and the risers will be white. It was painted About 6 months ago, and started to peel almost straight away. It was painted with Ronseal Knot Block Wood Primer and Undercoat White (2 coats) and then 2 coats of Ronseal Diamond Hard Floor Paint.

I was recommended to get as close to bare wood by sanding/heat gun/paint stripper, and then use ZInsser Peel Stop. However when I inquired with Zinsser techincal support they said:

"Unfortunately on this occasion we are unable to help as all of our primers/sealers are not recommended for use under foot traffic, the products are for decorative purposes only."

So I am now looking for recommendations of the best way forward.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Coverstain.
Then top coats of paint
Then a coat of rocktop by Smith and roger

Sponsored Links
Smith and Rodgers are based in Glasgow. Over the last handful of years they have started to release products that directly compete with Zinsser.

The new products that have used thus far are as good as the Zinsser products but are less expensive.

Both companies have good customer services though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back