alternator whine

Never thought of that. The problem is when you have two earth wires it forms a loop which will pick up any magnetic radiation that's about.

Peter

Sponsored Links
hi, just an update if you still got the will to live :)
messing with amp today i found i dont need an earth wire to it
its earthing out through any rca cable to radio
which looks like thats me problem
other amp needs the earth wire
next step is to do away with rca cables and use speaker wires to connect to amp see what happens
regards. r.r.

Earth wires the basic lol
But keep the RCA's much better quality as the sound from this is raw where as the speaker is already amplified so and distortion the head unit gives will be magnified by the Amp

yes burnerman think i see what you mean
bit like a loop system i can use with my hearing aids i can pick up sound in theatres etc wherever i sit
im sure i seen a peice about it on google where you wrap a wire around all outer parts of the rca ,s and ground it to a screw on casing
might try it first before i try through speaker wires
will post update.regards. r.r.

Sponsored Links
hi stuartturbo
yes will do me best to keep rca,s
with gain turned to mid point and my hearing loss its not to bad
its when radio front isnt fitted in or radio not on thats when its a no go
but i thought maybe of putting a switch on amp feed from radio to solve that . r.r.

They are not actually acting as an aerial John but as an induction loop. If you move a magnet in a coil or even loop of wire it will induce a current in it, that's how an alternator works, but to produce a current it must be a closed loop, open it and no current flows.

If you have your sound system earthed in more than one place it also forms a loop which the magnetic field from the alternator or anything connected to it will induce a voltage, if one part of the loop is carrying a signal the interferring current will be induced into it.

As soon as you disconnect one of the earths you no longer have a loop so no current is induced.

Hope I have explained that OK if not come again.

Peter

Cheers Peter, yes that does ring a bell - right back to my ham radio days in fact! :D Can still send and receive Morse at 12 WPM though....comes in well handy :p
John :)

Your one too are you :D I had no problem with the RAE as my job covered most aspects but I found the morse hard going, only just scraped through my test. I can send it as fast as you like, but reading it - that's something else!

73 Peter G0HET

Harping back to my early teens (12 actually) I was guilty of the odd session of radio piracy and the RSGB took a dim view of that so I got no further :p
I got great enjoyment and experience with working the ex WD stuff that was around at the time (52 set, R1475 and finally the CR100) but I lost interest when the likes of Yaesu produced receivers that were perfect right from the box - took the fun out of it somehow.
Also when maritime stopped using 2182 and went VHF was like the plug being pulled from that particular hobby.
You'll remember Camm's comic - 'Practical Wireless' mag - great for the home constructor!
Dah - dit - dah
Regards
John :)

Hi John

Although I have been in the radio trade all my life I came into ham via CB as did very many others. I got my G1 call in the '70s but didn't do the CW until the '80s. My wife has my old call but rarely uses it even though she now has an 'A' license by default. I still use 80M occaisionally but have a little IC706 which I take on holiday, that's the only time I do any serious radio. I used to be on 80M regularly but most of those I spoke to sadly have died.

Anyway this is supposed to be a motoring forum :D

Peter

hi, just a last update
from research on google etc it seems ive most likely blown the amp earth curcuit by leaving rca,s in place when messing with it powered up
if the amp earth is removed while its on it will earth out via rca,s
and so blow the earth curcuit in the amp somehow
when i swapped amps over as the rca,s are at back i would have plugged these in first and then speaker wires, and most likely the battery live b4 the earth
as peter.n. says ive now got an earth loop system so will pick up any old noise
i tried grounding amp case and rca leads in fact earths everwhere no good
[ so rca,s out first and in last is the order of the day ]
good news is with the help of inline filter and 2 ground loop isolators
gain at just over mid point cant hear any whine and it sounds great
ive run the live from radio that feeds amp into spare dash switch so when no radio on i can keep amp in off posistion so no whine
one last thing stuartturbo the S/N.ratio is 70dB
thanks to all and seasons greetings to you .r.r. :)

Very best wishes to you too, r.r.
At your tender age, do you think you should really be dabbling with such things? :p
John (Cream and Led Zep follower) :)

We only had mono when I was a kid but it was loud, proper RMS watts from valves - I'm going deaf now :D

Peter

Sponsored Links
Back