am I allowed to fit new consumer unit

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of you mentioned £300 + . There's no way I'm paying anyone that much. If necessary, they can fit the main supply cables then go. I'll fit the house circuits back in myself.

I suggest you try to catch up with reality. :confused:

Replacing a consumer is not like putting up a shelf. It takes a great understanding and knowledge which takes years of training to be carried out safely and correctly.

I install domestic fuseboards for around £200 plus the cost of materials, and I think I'm very cheap some days.

What you have said is insulting :evil:

Sponsored Links
Dandt's job means he charges £50 an hour for someone breathing his air and he considers that good value for his clients.

As normal, such persons are all knowing and his work couldn't possibly be less in standard or quality than a time served engineer.

As for testing, there's no need because he knows that all his work will be safe and that electricity can't injure or kill anyone he knows- It just does that to people God doesn't like. and God likes him and his :rolleyes:

And it is completely unheard of for an RCD to be faulty straight out of the box...

holmslaw wrote:
If he suggests doing a PIR before doing the cu change, chances are he is trustwothy. The PIR should indicate any existing problems for which repair costs can be agreed - before staring work. You will have to pay separately for PIR if you decide not to proceed with the cu change.

If he says he will do the PIR after the change, he intends ripping you off and you will liable for uncontrolled additional costs.

thats a bit of a wild generalisation aint it holmslaw????

Sponsored Links
thats a bit off a wild generalisation aint it holmslaw????[/quote]

why?

all im saying is that if they do do a pir before (which i agree should be common practice) or after board change that doesnt necessarily prove they are or are not going to be a rip off!!

To the insulting OP,

yes, you can change the consumer unit yourself.

You will be breaking the law, but i imagine that you don't care about that, or the potential £5000 fine the punishment carries with it.

I sincerely hope that you have borrowed neutrals, low IRs, NE faults galore.

When you are forced to get an electrician as an act of desperation because you have no lighting, no heating and everything in your freezer is melting, i hope he will see exactly what you have done, will see through all your hastily made up BS about the other electrician going on holiday/hospital etc and have your pants down in a right royal fashion.

:evil:

In this example, my 'get you out of the sh1t services' are £150/hour. Your job, 8 hours, money up front!

Your belief that screwing the cu to the wall will 'get the price down' speaks volumes about your total incompetance to undertake a job like this.

To the other sparks:

Do you work for customers who would want to keep costs down like this??
Cos i bloody don't! :evil:

I wouldn't wish borrowed neutrals on anyone.

He must have angered you. :LOL:

Do you work for customers who would want to keep costs down like this??

Customers chasing the walls, moving furniture & carpets, lifting floorboards etc. where agreed beforehand is fine.

Customers doing any of the electrical work is not.

I wouldn't connect the tails to a new consumer unit and leave it for someone else to connect the rest of the circuits either.

Hmm even chasing walls is a bit risky, you usually have to sort out the poor chases yourself which obviously your not getting paid for.

Agree with moving stuff + floorboard though.

For the chases, gice the customer a short length of oval plastic conduit of appropriate size and make sure they are aware that the conduit has to fit in the chase.

The cables will go in easily then (not in conduit, just clipped direct into the chases)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back