Am I allowed

I was thinking 60A at the main CU and 6mm SWA - I doubt I'd ever run enough power through it to need that, but I'd rather have it and not need it... inside I was thinking 6A for the lights and maybe 40A for the sockets

I'm already commited to getting a sparky now - but what's with the cryptic reply?

If that's wrong - just out of curiosity, I'd like to know what a pro would do differently?

The 6mm cable over an eight metre run will only carry about 47 amps, so 60A at main CU is not suitable.
The normal installation would be 32A at CU on a 4mm cable to a small garage CU with 30maRCD, 20amp power circuit and 6amp lighting circuit, but it really will depend on what load you require both now and at a later date, if you intend to use your garage as a workshop and have equipment that have a high inrush current or higher load demands, a little more thought needs go into your design.
If you installed a 6mm SWA cable a 45A MCB would be more suitable, allowing up to 45A load at the garage.
But also other things on your current installation, as previously stated need to taken in to consideration.
At the end of the day, it's about getting the job done right you need an electrician on board, if it's about having ago yourself you need building controls on board.
The later will cost more money and consume more of your time.

Sponsored Links
I was thinking 60A at the main CU and 6mm SWA - I doubt I'd ever run enough power through it to need that, but I'd rather have it and not need it... inside I was thinking 6A for the lights and maybe 40A for the sockets

I'm already commited to getting a sparky now - but what's with the cryptic reply?

If that's wrong - just out of curiosity, I'd like to know what a pro would do differently?

The 6mm cable over an eight metre run will only carry about 47 amps, so 60A at main CU is not suitable.
The normal installation would be 32A at CU on a 4mm cable to a small garage CU with 30maRCD, 20amp power circuit and 6amp lighting circuit, but it really will depend on what load you require both now and at a later date, if you intend to use your garage as a workshop and have equipment that have a high inrush current or higher load demands, a little more thought needs go into your design.
If you installed a 6mm SWA cable a 45A MCB would be more suitable, allowing up to 45A load at the garage.
But also other things on your current installation, as previously stated need to taken in to consideration.
At the end of the day, it's about getting the job done right you need an electrician on board, if it's about having ago yourself you need building controls on board.
The later will cost more money and consume more of your time.

Thanks, I'll still be getting an electrician in after reading all this - but appreciate the explanation - if nothing else I'll have some small idea of what the sparky is doing! ;)

Ask them to also price for 10mm² SWA supplied from a switchfuse direct from the meter tails.

Sponsored Links
Ask them to also price for 10mm² SWA supplied from a switchfuse direct from the meter tails.

I don't fully understand what you mean here - do you mean to have the power coming directly from the cables coming from the meter before it gets to my main CU?

I imagine that could be a bit cheaper as it's closer and wouldn't involve finding a route into the house for the new cabling.

Thank you for the suggestion!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back