Am I being a numpty??!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry all I'm having a moment....

I'm fitting a MK light switch that has a neon indicator in it but I want the neon to come on when the switch is off (as a switch locator in the dark).

As there is no neutral feed in the switch, if the neon is across live in and SW live out will it be on when the switch is off and vice versa.

Has anyone done this before a different way?

Sponsored Links
One of the sparks will explain more...
but AFAIK it won't work as the neutral would only be available when the light is off.

Tho I may be very wrong :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
If the switch is off (open) then the neon is effectively connected in series with the lamp, so the noen will light up, but the very small amount of current that neon uses is not enough to light the lamp.

switchneon.jpg

If the switch is on (closed) then the lower resistance of the switch means the current flows through the switch rather than the neon, there is then no PD between the legs of the neon, so it will not light.

And dont forget that there will actually now be a shock hazard at the light fitting when the lamp is TURNED OFF.

Why not use the MK switch locator product. What it says on the tin is "Neon locator available making switch easy to find in darkened rooms".

Or take a neutral to the switch, wot you replace with a 2-way.

It would also work if you connect the neon between permanent live and earth, but there's probably a reg against that.. :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back