am i right?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
which shower?

1. combi or tank fed = bar mixer ( even if it states for low or high pressure systems)

2. tank fed only = power shower ( cannot have combi )

3.does a mixer shower always run off hot & cold feed?

4. a mixer isnt always a bar type is there any other type apart from electric?( thermostatic mixer)

5. are there 3 types of showers electric, power shower , or mixer

6. the only shower to be piped from a cylinder is the power shower? a mixer can come from h&c bath feeds and an electric from cold feed mains? please help me , im a struggling newly qualified lady plumber who needs coaching????

Sponsored Links
Think you need to read some more books? Who qualified you with such a limited knowledge :confused:

Sounds like you are well on your way....!
You may be confusing a power shower (gravity fed with internal pump, looks like a usual electric shower) and a pumped shower, which takes gravity hot and cold and pressurises the water on demand. These draw water from the copper cylinder via an Essex flange on the side of the tank, or an S flange, from the top.
Hope this helps!
John :)

Bar Mixer...Sounds like you`ve only just had your Bat Mizvah ;)

Sponsored Links
Is this 2-year City&Guilds NVQ 2 qualified or "I spend vast amounts of money on a worthless six week course" 'qualified'??

i'd be worried if its a 2 yr city & guilds.

Indeed, nevertheless I guess we should attempt to help a lady in distress...

So, Igorbab, here goes

1) Almost. A bar mixer is one type of mixer shower. You should install thermostatic mixers with a combi boiler. If it's tank fed then you may install non-thermostatic mixers, however thermostatic ones are always the preferred option. Mixer showers should generally be installed in systems where the hot and cold water pressure is reasonably balanced.

2) A power shower is generally defined as an electric shower with an internal pump, as Burnerman has already alluded to, and these should only be connected to low pressure water systems (IE tank fed). Power showers draw from both the hot and cold water supplies.

3) A mixer shower is always fed by both hot and cold water, yes.

4) Confused question, but I'll answer as best I can. There are several different types of shower on the market, and these can be split roughly into two groups; manual and electric.

In the manual sector you have mixer showers, which can either be thermostatic or non-thermostatic. Thermostatic mixers compensate for changes in the incoming water flow/temperature and regulate them, giving a nice even temperature shower. Non-thermostatic mixers just slosh together what's supplied and spit it out the shower head with no regulation. There are also digital showers, which use electric controls but are essentially a form of thermostatic mixer shower, although some people may argue they come into the 'electric' category... Mixer showers may be fed by either low (tank) or high (mains) pressure hot and cold water systems. If they are tank-fed, however, a pump may be added to make them high instead of low pressure, increasing the flow additionally.

In the electric sector you have standard electric showers, which are fed by either a cold water storage cistern (CWSC) in the loft, or the mains, depending on the shower model. They are cold-feed only and heat the water internally. They may be thermostatic or non-thermostatic.
Then you have power showers, which as described before have an internal pump and are fed by both hot and cold water at low pressure. These may be thermostatic or non-thermostatic.

5) Pretty much already covered, but there are four types; electric, power, digital, and mixer. All may be either thermostatic or non-thermostatic, except digital showers which are always thermostatic.

6) Both power showers and mixer showers may be piped from the cylinder and CWSC, or you could take feeds for either off the bath feeds (this may well be debated in a minute by someone else on the power shower issue, but we won't go there for now). Electric showers may be taken from either the cold mains or from a feed from the CWSC (or indeed the cold on the bath tap), depending on the unit being installed. Digital showers run on either high or low pressure, depending on the model.

Hi igorbab, can you say what system it is (gravity,mains etc) and then people could suggest what showers might work best?

If you look at the op's previous posts, you'll infer that (s)he is "having a laff".

Wouldn't waste your time on this, gentlemen, if I were you.

I think its going over your head too !

Bat Mitzvah is for a female and Bar Mitzvah is for a male !

Tony

Well, I thought the reply was funny :LOL: I`ve been out "Roman" and only just returned to the "Forum"...So before I`m thrown to the lions ....." I AM Spartacus"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back