Am I too late to cut back a rose bush/tree?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I can just see daffodils coming up outside, it hasn't started to bud yet, can I still cut it back so it comes back bushy rather than straggly?

Sponsored Links
Hard frosts can kill a rose stem back a few buds, so don't prune it more than 3 or 4 buds from the base. It'd be better to wait until Spring has arrived.

Stefan Buczacki says "In cold areas, leaving the old growth on during winter provides the plants with protection against hard frosts, which will, in any event, kill off some shoot growth." and who are we to argue with him! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I do my initial pruning in winter once the leaves have fallen, but like to finish off about now. When you can see the buds starting to come through you can see where's a good point to cut to for the new year's shape. Today's quite pleasant so I'm off to do it now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back