am i wrong (again)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to ask other fitters if they were told that a single socket was the prefered way that we were to use instead of switch spares now i have been doing it this way since my last acops course near 4 year ago but recentley with part p and all this coming out on the course i was told by the lad teaching us that switch spares must be fitted sockets are a no no but surely other lads were told this or was i dreaming maybe i was

Sponsored Links
Switched fused spurs (double pole) are preferable.

If plugging into a 13amp socket, then this must be unswitched.

TBH Zimmer I prefer a switched fuse spur, but if a switched socket is to hand Ill use that on customers say so, (Providing its within a meter) ;)

Sponsored Links
As yet I only take this from books, as no-one has been able to explain fully the reason behind it :eek:

My take on it is that with an unswitched socket you have to remove the plug completely to isolate the appliance, therefore equals double pole isolation.

If it is a switched socket and you isolate via the switch you are ony switching the live and not neutral.

Sounds good to me, but as usual I stand to be corrected if anyone else can come up with a reason ;)

thanks lads i always if needss be run 2.5 m cable from the point ive broken into but ive fitted socket with 3amp fuse in the plug so i have been fitting switch spares lately one more thing boys gasguru says my price of £1400 for a straight combi change which i give the system a powerflush as well is very cheap and corners must be getting cut what do you get in your areas lads

Giving it a quick coat of thinking I concur with your logic:cool:

Shall post the querie in sparks forum ;)

gasguru says my price of £1400 for a straight combi change which i give the system a powerflush as well is very cheap and corners must be getting cut what do you get in your areas lads

Don't know your area, but a straight combi swap, if there is such a thing, usually comes in at around £1900 + VAT with me, sometimes more if gas pipe needs replacing.

Not many were fitted with the correct size gas supply years ago I find ;)

thanks lads i always if needss be run 2.5 m cable from the point ive broken into but ive fitted socket with 3amp fuse in the plug so i have been fitting switch spares lately one more thing boys gasguru says my price of £1400 for a straight combi change which i give the system a powerflush as well is very cheap and corners must be getting cut what do you get in your areas lads

Uhm, £1400/£1800 depends on the boiler fitted, though a flush takes a few hours. GG is darn sarf innit, by the way Zimmer he,s a top chap dont fall out with him as his info is good ;)

dont forget guru your in the smoke were prices are alot higher im happy to make £800 for 1/2 days work and powerflushing isnt much is it line valves on the flow and return and connect it up to a rad and let it run while fittinf the new boiler so some chemicals,crystals and inhibator and how can i cut corners on a simple job like a combi change i was i could get £2,500 but i cant so i do it for what i think is ok for the work involved i done 4 last week and with my other jobs i done i had a decent week i done about 3 1/2 days work and made just under £3,800 now maybe you being the GURU you get that for turning up at a job but i dont and pilgrims like me can only dream of being the guru oh mighty one your full of s***te from liverpool (the master race) scousers

Another troll perhaps :rolleyes:

As an extra, don't forget you need to add in £100 - £200 to cover possible call backs for the duration of the 2 year warranty etc.

Now thats something I dont do Dave.
If called back within the first three months its F.O.C labour and parts warranty, within next nine month its labour and parts warranty then warranty only until warranty expires, then its happy days.

No only jesting with the happy days ;)

Because the boilers a fixed electrical item common practice is to use a switched fuse spur, switched socket outlet (doublepole)would isolate both L and N but single pole outlet you'd have to remove the plug.

One particular manufacturer used to send their boiler with a plug on it.

Now thats something I dont do Dave.
If called back within the first three months its F.O.C labour and parts warranty, within next nine month its labour and parts warranty then warranty only until warranty expires, then its happy days.

No only jesting with the happy days ;)

With the Vaillant 2 year warranty I would go to any fault call out foc during these 2 years.

I always make it clear that the 5 year plate he warranty is parts only though.

A side thought Craig, although I still don't like wb boilers, I have been very impressed with their service back up for a couple of fixed price call outs I've put in for customers ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back