am i wrong (again)

Read

Sale and Supply of Goods Regulations -Guide for Domestic Plumbing and Heating Industry

Don't forget that Manufacturers' and Suppliers' warranties and guarantees can add to a consumers rights under the law, they can not take them away.

There was a famous case, many years ago, when a man purchased a secondhand Jaguar with about 70,000 miles on the clock, which he wanted to take on a continental holiday. He informed the dealer of his intention and was assured that the car would be OK.

Unfortunately the car broke down, so the purchaser decided to sue the garage. The garage argued that you could not expect a car with 70k on the clock not to breakdown. The purchaser argued that you do not expect a car of that quality to break down and produced evidence that the car should last considerably more than 70k.

The purchaser won and the dealer had to reimburse the cost of repairing the car.

Sponsored Links
He sounds more like the late Lord Hailsham every day.

Perhaps the garage should have given a short guarantee?

Perhaps the buyer should have taken out breakdown insurance?

Tony

Sponsored Links
i find it strange that the car dealer was unable to prove that other jags had broken down and that it was therefore not impossible for the one he sold to break down. :confused:

it says it was many years ago. if it was built by BL i wouldnt have expected it to go 7 miles no matter 70k before it broke down.

if it was an x300 onwards they are pretty good for reliability.....ask me how i know ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back