Amp question?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i'm hooking up my out side light, running it from a main plug socket into a fused connection unit with a switch, but just noticed i've got a 13amp one and the light needs a 3 or 5 amp. can i just take out the 13 amp and replace with a 3 or 5 or do i need to go buy another switch stating 3 or 5 amp?

Sponsored Links
You can replace the fuse, just like you can in a plug - that's the whole point.

Just as a future reference, you can downrate fuses without any problems, it is when people uprate fuses it can become a problem. i.e the factory owner who sticks nails in the holder to get the machine working (cos it works ok dont it)

Sponsored Links
Once seen this in an old CU in a house. Nails in fuse holders......Scary!

We should have a competition to see what is the scariest thing people put in a rewirable fuse holders!!

If we do can we please avoid the more extreme S&M websites in our search for images.... :eek:

Which S&M websites do you recommend we avoid BAS? ;)

Ya see, I think BS1363 should mandate that FCUs be supplied with 3A fuses as standard, leaving the buyer to uprate to a higher value if needed.

Couldn't agree more.

And plugs.

Unless....

What if someone, frustrated by his appliance repeatedly blowing the 3A fuse, and not having any 13s, wraps tinfoil round it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back