An inspector called

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Gas Safe offered to do an inspection of my recently installed boiler. (A card is included with the completion certificate offering to do this and I just posted it back, not really expecting a response). Anyway, he came today and has found two issues. The flue where it exits the wall to the outside had not been sealed - there's a gap of about 2cm all round between the flue and the wall inside. And the flue itself needs a diverter as it's too near the property boundary with next door (I'm in one of two semis).
I'm generally very pleased with the firm that did the installation (Baxi Solo HE15) and don't intend to make a fuss as he said there were no safety issues and it was otherwise done to a very good standard.
Just wondering now what happens - should I get the company back asap or wait until they receive his letter? Are these common errors on installations?

Sponsored Links
Your installer will automatically get a defect notice served upon them. They then have a fixed time to put things right.

As they have said, these are minor reg problems and nothing unsafe, so no need to go off on one with the installer.

Any of us could pick minor faults with each others work if we were so inclined, ie if we were an inspector trying to keep his quota of fault reports up to show he was doing his job.

I got pulled for having a shrub partially obscuring the gas meter box, by my local t w a t of an inspector. Asked him if I was supposed to be an f***ing gardener as well :mad:

I totally agree - there's too much criticism and histrionics around nowadays and I'll just wait until they get in touch to remedy the points he mentioned. I'll make sure they know what he said about the generally high standard of the work. But I'm sure you'll agree that, if the Gas Safe system is to be respected, these inspections are necessary.
Compare with electrics, where there is no such inspection system in place afaik and many more accidents/deaths.

Vicario, if you're relaxed about it, can I suggest you phone the installer and express your general satisfaction with the work. I know that if I got a rectifaction notice like that, my biggest worry would be how to approach the client! He's probably now stressing that you will give him a rolllocking.

Sponsored Links
But I'm sure you'll agree that, if the Gas Safe system is to be respected, these inspections are necessary.

Periodic inspections might be necessary, as happen, yes, just to make sure that people's standards aren't slipping. But I think this is a bit sneaky, to be honest.

We pay to get trained and qualified, pay to join Gas Safe and have new competences like CPA1 brought in that involve further payment and in doing so we are then supposed to be deemed competent to self-certify our work.

There are, without a doubt, some registered that aren't up to scratch but most RGIs are conscientious and love their job and love to do it well. As we see on here quite often, a proportion of customers have an automatic distrust of RGIs and so I think many will take up the offer for a free inspection, if only just to see, which only serves to make us feel more under suspicion and hounded.

Surely it's a lot more of a pressing issue to use those energies to pursue illegal gas installations and punish the illegal gas workers? Except, of course, Gas Safe only investigate illegal installs when the customer has made a complaint and then they just tell the installer that they have a year to get registered if nothing unsafe was found. And if there was, the fines, if administered are generally less than it costs to do your ACS and join Gas Safe anyway.

... But I'm sure you'll agree that, if the Gas Safe system is to be respected, these inspections are necessary.
Compare with electrics, where there is no such inspection system in place afaik and many more accidents/deaths.

I have to disagree. The vast majority of big problems is caused by illegals. GSR have those on about as low a priority as you can think of. RGI's get more and more rules and regs and hassle, but illegals can work without any control whatsoever. The whole system is a joke.

Many thanks for all the replies. I'm still glad I had the inspection, as the phrase 'generally done to a very high standard' is what I remember and I feel reassured as a result. Of course minor infringements of the regs. are annoying to have pointed out to you (I get the same at work, believe me) but I suppose they are there for a reason. And I did pay almost 4k for this work, after all.

I wish all customers were like you Sir!
I am sure these minor "non-compliances" will soon be sorted and your Installer will be very happy with your response to the situation! ;)

All of the above is very cosy albeit a stretch from reality, annually there are more than enough naff RGI installations and until it's compulsory for all new boiler installs to be checked/tested by someone other than the person who installed it there's not likely to be much improvement. Gas Safe only checked OPs installation on his/her request, on that basis I doubt if even 10% of new installs receive a check. Also when LABC are notified [by Gas Safe] of a new install they normally issue a completion certificate to confirm the work has been carried out satisfactorily, but if the work hasn't been checked/tested by a third party the certificate is at best negligent and barely worth the paper its written on.

I think in general it is a good idea and would be better if more installations get inspected, the good thing in your situation is, you get the defects put right and the installer gets a little wake up call to do things correctly.

I had an inspection on one of my jobs like this just over 3 months ago, nothing was found on mine, however the inspector did call me after his inspection. I also recieved and email with pdf attached from the inspector to say everything was ok.

ONly thing the inspector pulled me up on and this was not a defect! it was the size of the gas pipe I put in, I ran a new section of 28mm pipe to a point where you wouldnt cut into it for any extra gas appliances. The Customer had mentioned that they might want a gas fire in the future and i allowed enough for a gas cooker to go in as well. :D

Not sealing the flue is a very basic defect and I see that as indicative of a very lazy installer who needed that inspection to make him toe the line.

Bushes by the meter box are not the installer's responsibility and should just be pointed out to the owner.

One of my trainees once got kind of stung on his arm by a very ordinary looking bush.

Tony

I am about to have an install done and I would certainly settle for a 'generally done to a high standard'. I would be inclined to give the installer a call with a pat on the back and ask him to come around for a brew and touch it up at the same time.

It would be unreasonable for any customer to expect perfection in a job - if it happens then it is a bonus. I'm expecting teething problems with mine - anything more than that and I have chosen the wrong installer. My measure of how good the installer is will not only be how good he done the job on the day but how well he responds to the teething problems that may well arise.

I have had a few people around to price my job and only one of them noted that the plume would go over my neighbours boundary ( I think he said it had to be two metres distance) and that a diverter would be needed to steer the plume in a different direction.

I think the inspections are a good thing. Whilst I understand the RGI's feeling under suspicion - I think inspections will make good RGI's better and hopefully weed out the bad legal ones that should not be doing it in the first place. The illegals are a totally different matter and really the customer should be able to suss them out at the beginning - unless the customer is trying to get a cheap job, in which case whos fault is it.

If I dont have a word of mouth reference my minimum will be an approved installer.

You dont realise just how basic a fault not sealing the flue is!

ALL your installers should have noted the need for a plume diverter within 2.5m of the boundary.

Tony

I dont have a clue about the basic types of faults that occur. I think my point is that it is forgivable for any installer to make some basic errors. This installer has done everything to a high standard and is unlikely to forget to seal the flue after this. Hence he is now likely to be just that bit better of an installer as a result.

As for the installers noticing the need for the plume diverter - I agree - I only knew of it when the chap mentioned it. Even BG did not see it. So out of 4 installers - 75% of them missed it!!!!!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back