Anaconda on meter outlet

my gas meter is on 2 long lead pipes.
its an ultrasonic meter i believe and sits on one very rusty bracket wedged in the brickwork.all understairs in awkard position.
when i had new boiloer fitted last year the installer called the gas company,guy came out next day said its safe and ok although he did not apply any tool to verify his statement.
my property has 4 floors,terrace town house and i want to have meter relocated soon as i want to fit new stairs.

sunnie.

As long as the lead is in good condition, its fine to remain in use. If you had a meter exchange then the lead would be removed on the inlet side, and 'maybe' partially removed on the outletside (depending on how much there is)

The gas engineer who installed your heating could of copper piped upto the meter outlet.

He would of also done a tightness test on the installation to ensure there was no leaks and as you did not mention any disconnections, then the lead is fit for purpose.

If you want to have the meter relocated more than 2 meters from its current position as long as it does not pass through any walls, your supplier should do this for you, If you need it moving any further you will need to contact national grid

here is the website with the relevent infomation
http://www.nationalgrid.com/uk/Gas/Connections/GasServices/MoveMeter/NationalGridReconnecting.htm

It wont be cheap though.

Sponsored Links
thanks bgsm.
maybe the gas boiler installer is just covering his back but when the installer came back a week after to get final payment he looked around his installation and he mentioned the gas meter,i showed him a form from gas supply company which i could not read as poor writing
so does it matter if the gas meter is situated under a wooden stair case (sole fire escape route to three floors above).
even meter readers have to struggle to read it and often i read it for them espically if they are large lads.
mind you the gas supply company guy is a large lad who likes mcdonalds as he had some gherkin on his face.
just to add when the gas meter was exchanged they fitted two shiny brass fittings inbetween leads and meter.it still has a massive black thing above left side which is very rusty.
but no smell of gas so i suppose it passes supply companys test.

It would not be allowed back there if there was a leak on the service . But they dont have to move it for free if no leak

thanks bgsm.
maybe the gas boiler installer is just covering his back but when the installer came back a week after to get final payment he looked around his installation and he mentioned the gas meter,i showed him a form from gas supply company which i could not read as poor writing
so does it matter if the gas meter is situated under a wooden stair case (sole fire escape route to three floors above).
even meter readers have to struggle to read it and often i read it for them espically if they are large lads.
mind you the gas supply company guy is a large lad who likes mcdonalds as he had some gherkin on his face.
just to add when the gas meter was exchanged they fitted two shiny brass fittings inbetween leads and meter.it still has a massive black thing above left side which is very rusty.
but no smell of gas so i suppose it passes supply companys test.

Afaik, You're only not allowed to fit a meter under the stairs if there is 3 floors and its the only means of escape in the event of a fire or other emergency. Im sure some of the gas safe librarians will pipe up if im wrong, I dont have my gas books to hand so I cant be definate about it.

If the meter was exchanged in the last 7-8 years, the lead on the inlet side could of been coppered up if the distance is too far for the anaconda, but as long as the lead is in good condition and not leaking, its fine. Just be carefull with what you throw under the stairs, Lead pipe isnt the most robust.

And we meter fitters do like McD's Its dependable, and we dont always work in the same area to find a good deli!

Sponsored Links
I have been in contact with my boiler installer with regard to extend h&c water supply into my new development on my flat roof.he has left tails for this.
he asked me about the gas meter so i told him it is still exactly the same as what he saw.
i had to remind him the new work i want him to has no gas interest but he wants to report national grid under a ridor (what ever that is) with regard to my gas meter.
i told him to await my instruction before starting any reporting,so who is doing the correct action.boiler installer,nat grid gas ispector,meter changer or me.
yes i am confused.

I have been in contact with my boiler installer with regard to extend h&c water supply into my new development on my flat roof.he has left tails for this.
he asked me about the gas meter so i told him it is still exactly the same as what he saw.
i had to remind him the new work i want him to has no gas interest but he wants to report national grid under a ridor (what ever that is) with regard to my gas meter.
i told him to await my instruction before starting any reporting,so who is doing the correct action.boiler installer,nat grid gas ispector,meter changer or me.
yes i am confused.

Can you get an picture of it and upload it here so I can see it?

Ask him why he wants to riddor it.

Im under the impression that if a Riddor is reported to the Health and Safety Executive, then the installtion should be classed as ID, and if this is case then your gas installation would be disconnected to ensure safety.

Get the picture so I can get a proper look at whats going on please!.

Jack

i told him to await my instruction before starting any reporting,

I have no comments to ad to the meter discussion, but it is not up to you wether he reports a RIDDOR. In fact, he is legally obiged to do so, if he finds an issue that demands it. Most of us don't bother,but, legally, it is a REQUIREMENT not a choice.

meter now relocated in new position,all done and it looks much better.
boiler man wanted to report national grid but he mention some people ignore the regulations for a quiet life.

thanks all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back