Ancient lady tackles ancient boiler...Glow Worm 45-60

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think, if any replacement is required it will have to be as 'like for like' as is possible to avoid extra costs of fitting. Hey Dishman! I like your thinking. We will keep the old girl going as long as possible. That is the boiler of course......not me)

Daisy

Sponsored Links
Hello endecopt

I guess the annual fuel bill is immaterial as we simply do not have the funds nor would we ever recoup....simples!

Dan robertson.....that's just so rude!

daisy

Hello endecopt

I guess the annual fuel bill is immaterial as we simply do not have the funds nor would we ever recoup....simples!

Humour me, and tell me anyway. Just so that I can think about the numbers.

Sponsored Links
1. Those two quotes were not from British Gas. British Gas quoted much more...

2. I did not say forced. I said in many/most situations people are encouraged to get a combi boiler. I have found this myself as have many people I know. It is more often than not the first replacement option that is discussed. It is the most advertised type of replacement. The majority of boiler replacements are combis. Even when it is not the most suitable option you often find a combi installed (larger house with more than one bathroom).

3. Two other posters have stated that a simple retrofit of a modern boiler onto an old system is not that simple. I was also told this when I asked for a retrofit replacement option.

4. Regardless of the heat only option. It is a fact that modern boilers are less reliable. The vast majority (combis) have a life span of 10 years. As I said with savings of £300 a year and a replacement cost of £3000 it would take me ten years to pay it off. Even if I made £400 savings that is still 7.5 years payback.

My contradiction is the point I am trying to make. That spending money to save money does not always work out. It is not always the best option. If you have the money to spend and you just want to be as efficient as possible regardless the cost, that is fine, if I had the money I would do that too.

But to spend money when the primary aim is to save money (and it may take 7-10 years to make your money back and even then you may only just break even). I would ask myself if it was worth it.

1. Those two quotes were not from British Gas. British Gas quoted much more...

2. I did not say forced. I said in many/most situations people are encouraged to get a combi boiler. I have found this myself as have many people I know. It is more often than not the first replacement option that is discussed. It is the most advertised type of replacement. The majority of boiler replacements are combis. Even when it is not the most suitable option you often find a combi installed (larger house with more than one bathroom).

3. Two other posters have stated that a simple retrofit of a modern boiler onto an old system is not that simple. I was also told this when I asked for a retrofit replacement option.
4. Regardless of the heat only option. It is a fact that modern boilers are less reliable. The vast majority (combis) have a life span of 10 years. As I said with savings of £300 a year and a replacement cost of £3000 it would take me ten years to pay it off. Even if I made £400 savings that is still 7.5 years payback.

My contradiction is the point I am trying to make. That spending money to save money does not always work out. It is not always the best option. If you have the money to spend and you just want to be as efficient as possible regardless the cost, that is fine, if I had the money I would do that too.

But to spend money when the primary aim is to save money (and it may take 7-10 years to make your money back and even then you may only just break even). I would ask myself if it was worth it.

You have nailed my situation exactly here particularly in the last two sentences. It's a case really of everyone is right but what an individual chooses has to based upon their personal circumstances/preferences. Oh and the fitting of a new boiler for us was £4.500 worth of difficult.

Daisy

Hi Tony
http://www.******************

In the end though this led to a company called ********.

We found the above through the internet. However with all that we have learned from this is, that if we could afford it the best route would be a straight replacement. Some more thermo couple fiddling is required as everything else appears to be working.

Daisy

My Mum's 45-60 is still going strong after about 40 years. The timer broke, but luckily she still had the original installation manual, so by-passing the wiring to an external timer was fairly straightforward. Her heating engineer is old school, and a fan of older much simpler boilers. He keeps a collection of spares in his garage where he managed to find a gas valve which failed about 10 years ago. The DHW is 28mm copper gravity fed. I plan to cap this off at the boiler and use the pumped side with diverter valves to do both CH and DHW. The original installers didn't put in a gravity valve, so the upstairs radiators heat up whenever the cylinder is heated. Also, the pump is on the return side and fitted the wrong way round, so that will be going on the flow side. Just replaced all the radiator valves, which were ceased, with thermo static valves and new lock shields. Hopefully it will last a few more years yet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back