Angela Rayner

A simple term in the sale deed e.g. if you don't live there as your main home for at least 5 years, then you will have to repay the RTB discount. If AR was up to no good, then I have always thought it was more likely to be something to do with RTB discount, rather than tax.

Just found this in the Mail:

View attachment 340288

If this is where the investigation is going. Then we aren’t talking about £10ks worth of tax evasion with interest. But I doubt it. Unless the mail have more of the story to come.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Yes I understand you could add covenants, but I’m not sure the council could do this under RTB rules. Of course if they did it anyway the covenant is still enforceable.
The rtb scheme is a national scheme, you cant fundamentally change that by adding in covenants. But it makes for another story.

If this is where the investigation is going. Then we aren’t talking about £10ks worth of tax evasion with interest. But I doubt it. Unless the mail have more of the story to come.
There a major conflict in the Middle East but the Daily Mails head lines are about somebody selling their council house

I wonder why

The rtb scheme is a national scheme, you cant fundamentally change that by adding in covenants. But it makes for another story.

I've previously found a couple of further sources, like the one below. And then I've found others saying the opposite. It seems to be an area of considerable confusion. There doesn't seem to be anything in the primary legislation which says you have to live there as your main residence or that you can't rent it out.

https://www.cityboroughhousing.co.uk/renting-your-right-to-buy-property-all-you-need-to-know/

Can I rent out my Right to Buy property?

It is not impossible to rent out a Right to Buy property, but there are rules in place. The Right to Buy scheme stipulates that once they’ve purchased it under the scheme, the buyer must live in their home as their main residence for a minimum of five years before they can sell it or begin to rent it out, without losing the discount they received to help buy it.

This rule is in place to prevent tenants from buying the property at a discount and then immediately renting it out at full market rate. This goes against the principle aim of the scheme which is to help people become homeowners.

You should speak with the council or housing association who originally owned the property. Each one will have slightly different rules relating to renting out your Right to Buy property. Some may stipulate different lengths of time to live in the property before renting, others may charge a sub-let fee.

Last edited:
Fair point but when it comes down to the voracity of argument there is a clear winner. Its not John by the way and that's not a tribal view however much some may try to paint it as such.

Fair point but when it comes down to the voracity of argument there is a clear winner.

Again, that's an opinion.
Although that opinion is based on the belief that mbk is in possession of facts, rather than suppositions.

If you couch the "argument" in very defined and limited terms - which lawyers do and, as too, is mbk - you can dictate the answer.

"Never ask a question to which you a. don't know the answer, and b. don't want the answer".

Overall the grand scheme of politics in general though, it's all a nothingness: even if AR has done anything wrong, any number of other MPs have done (and possibly still are doing) far, far worse.

The Observer reports...a Tory MP asked the force to examine whether she gave incorrect information for the electoral register about where she lived in Stockport prior to becoming an MP. Because she listed the house as her primary residence, she did not have to pay the tax. However, her critics have argued she really lived with her former husband, just over a mile away. CGT is payable on second homes.

On Saturday night, it emerged that a former Rayner aide, Matt Finnegan, has written to GMP, contradicting her claims. “There was no doubt in my mind that this was Ms Rayner’s family home where she lived with her then husband, Mark,” his letter states, according to the Sunday Times. “I remember it quite vividly because Ms Rayner was not at home at first and I had to wait for some time in my car before she eventually arrived. It was also memorable in that it was the first and only time I visited her home during the course of my voluntary work for her.”

Asked about pressure on Rayner to publish her tax advice, Jim McMahon, the shadow local government minister, said: “We don’t get many Tory MPs who say if there is wrongdoing found, then they will take the appropriate action and to step aside, you don’t hear Conservatives saying that, and that’s why this is chalk and cheese.”

There remains uncertainty over what exactly GMP is investigating. In a brief statement, it would only say it was looking at “whether any offences have been committed” in the light of material provided by James Daly, the Conservative deputy chairman, who asked them to look at the electoral roll and deeds relating to the sale of her council house. Electoral offences fall under the Representation of the People Act 1983, which states that providing false information to an electoral officer is an offence. It is not clear whether living at two addresses would be considered “false information” since it is not uncommon for people, from students to MPs, to have two residences. The act also has a time limit of 12 months after the offence was committed. A magistrates’ court could extend the deadline for a year in some circumstances. Scott Wortley, a law lecturer at Edinburgh University, said that a police investigation into suspected electoral offences was “completely pointless”.

“Under the Representation of the People Act, any offence committed under that act has to be prosecuted within one year of the commission of the offence,” he said. “In this situation where the alleged events took place a decade ago, it seems a waste of time and resources to carry out an investigation for something that can’t be prosecuted.” It is also unclear that not paying capital gains tax on a second home would amount to an offence. Dan Neidle, a tax expert who raised questions about whether or not Rayner should have paid capital gains tax on her Stockport home, has said that “calls for prosecutions for tax evasion” were “plain daft”. In 2015 she sold the Vicarage Road property and Neidle estimates that she may have been liable for no more than £3,500 in CGT, or may not have owed any tax in some circumstances.

Again fair point but I think there is significant problems with AR story that has been called into question by experts in the field and even her aid saying she was lying. So not just MKB forming suppositions.

I have posted more than once that the original incident could have been closed down with minimal fuss but its the coverup and deceit that will catch her out.

Again fair point but I think there is significant problems with AR story that has been called into question by experts in the field and even her aid saying she was lying. So not just MKB forming suppositions.

Unless I'm missing something, is this (below) what her aide is basing his claim on?

On Saturday night, it emerged that a former Rayner aide, Matt Finnegan, has written to GMP, contradicting her claims. “There was no doubt in my mind that this was Ms Rayner’s family home where she lived with her then husband, Mark,” his letter states, according to the Sunday Times. “I remember it quite vividly because Ms Rayner was not at home at first and I had to wait for some time in my car before she eventually arrived. It was also memorable in that it was the first and only time I visited her home during the course of my voluntary work for her.”

Sponsored Links
Back