Annoying problem!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

15mm copper pipe running to wc with isolating valve with integral 1/2" connector, isolating valve will switch of OK.

The problem is that when isolating valve is open there is a leak between the nut and plastic bottom entry inlet valve.

Have tried everything to fix stop this and have had to admit defeat!! changed fibre washer as the old one was damaged, 1/2" connector seems to screw onto plastic valve OK but wont seal, changed isolating valve thinking something wrong with it, but no joy!

Am I right in thinking that the only option is to try and replace inlet valve?

So B***** annoying, 10 min job has turned into a nightmare and dont know why!

Lookf forward to your advice

Sponsored Links
Put a "normal" isolating valve on the pipe, a bit of copper pipe into it and then a flexi hose to feed the cistern.

I find those service valves a pain too. :(

poss maybe the inlet valve damaged.
the trouble with these is the valve is plastic and the iso is brass and people incline to keep doing the nut up and it stretches the plastic inlet thread.
i only give them about half a turn with a adjustable just to nip them up.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the tip guys, the plastic inlet does not look damaged, but I suppose it only needs the smallest bit of damage!

To make matters worse the owner seems to be obsessed with Blue Loo type things, emptying the cistern is going to be a really nasty job!

Think there must be about an inch of sludged up blue water in the bottom!

don't you love them :rolleyes:
i aways use my wet vac on jobs with that muck in or you go home with blue hands.
i find they stretch between the threads look inside the bottom of the inlet if the threads been stretched you'll see the plastics gone bright white.

Wet Vac! Brilliant idea, why have I never thought of that! Normally syphon them out, but with all that blue C*** in it was never gonna happen!

What type of Wet vac have you got? Does it not clog up with the sludgy stuff?

had a few exspensive ones that didn't last, so just brought a basic one thats been good as gold for price, i use it for emptying cisterns, rad pipes etc for soldering and cleaning up at the end of day if i've been channeling a wall, or it's good for if a customer has had a pipe go under floorboard upstairs sucking up the water on the plasterboard ceiling

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4062116/Trail/searchtext>VACUUM.htm

Had something similar to you. I cut a couple of threads off plastic inlet valve and replaced fibre washer with rubber washer. This seemed to solve my leak.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back