Another Cast Iron Soil Stack Dilemma

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Seems to be a recurring headache amongst fellow DIYnotters :rolleyes: , but I think my issue is a new one...

I live in a block of flats. It is an unusual construction: there is a shared soil stack (with two other flats) running in a closed off 'communal void' from top to bottom of a four story block. I want to connect a new WC into this stack.

The stack is accessible to work on by removing partition panelling in the soon-to-be WC room, but only a limited length of it. This is all down to my freeholder's consent of course (and building regs etc) but that's the next challenge :( :!:

I have figured out that cutting through the pipe totally to add the appropriate connector, or to remove the upper section completely and replace is impossible due to access and all sorts of things.

So... the question at last: am I being stupid here in even asking the question :oops: , but is there any known way of successfully making a hole in a cast iron stack big enough for a standard WC soil pipe to connect to (and is there the appropriate connector on the market?)? Obviously, I have been assuming not, but best to ask you pros anyhow. Looking at the physics of it, it seems a long shot I have to say.

Secondly, as a possible solution to this I have thought of using a Saniflo for no other reason that to reduce the bore down to 22mm which I assume could somehow be connected into a CI soil stack by making the appropriate hole (advice on this greatly appreciated :D ). Seems a crazy and costly length to go to when there is a soil pipe 1 foot from the WC! Any better ideas? :idea: :?:

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
can't you t into the existing pipe leeding from the existing wc? If it's on a lower level, go down to it, if it's higher level, tough.

Otherwise glad I don't have the job.

Glad I don't have a flat and share soil stack with anyone else.

Hi,

I know of no way to do this apart from removing a section of the iron soil pipe and re-piping with iron to plastic adapters and a branch for your new WC. This is major work and will involve work below your WC floor level, which may or may not be possible. Big work, big disruption, big restitution, big money.

I would follow the Saniflo line, and connect this into your existing WC pipework, if that is plastic, wherever that is. Or, if you must have a another WC, move.

Rgds.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back