Another question on spurs

Ok I think I understand, on the previous job I used a rcd and a fuse, but I see your point because on the earlier one there was no rcd protection on the mains only a cb, hence on that I used as stated a rcd, armoured cable to a fuse box in the shed, the belt and braces approach again! so on this one only a fcu is required, fair enough.
Yes, that's essentially it. Of course, (just like everything else) RCDs do fail, so if you are heavily into 'belt and braces' then you could have the two RCDs. However, as I said, that would mean that there would be no telling which (or both) would trip in the event of a fault, so there would still always be a risk that all the house circuits protected by the in-house RCD in question would be lost in the event of a fault in the summerhouse, even if there were an additional RCD for the summerhouse.

If one wanted to avoid the possibility of a summerhouse fault taking out circuits in the house, the only way of achieving that would be to have the summerhouse circuit totally separate from the house's RCD-protected circuits - which is probably a degree of complexity which you wouldn't want to contemplate. In reality, tripping of RCDs is sufficiently rare that the degree of potential inconvenience we're talking about is probably pretty minimal.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I would love to have it as a separate circuit but owing to the layout of the house it's not possible, the csu is miles away from the summerhouse and without ripping up newly laid carpets, 'Er indoors would love that!! it can't be done, so it's going to be the way we said ...fcu conduited cable x2 double sockets in parallel.

Thanks matey I really appreciate your help.

Terry B

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back