Another re-wire...again I know!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys, 1st post on here so please bare with me :)

Ive recently purchased a circa 50 year old 3 bed bungalow that is in need of a re-wire.

Ive had a few quotes of friends (electricians) of around 1500-2000 and that is with me sorting the plastering afterwards.

Basically im wondering how difficult it would be for myself (Very DIY Competent..or atleast id like to think so) to do the chasing and sinking of sockets before they come round, to save on getting a builder in to do these.

Obviously i would check with them to confirm routes, depths etc, but just wondering what your guys thoughts are.

The 2000 quote was to chase, re-wire and Test/certificate. (friend)

The 1500 quote was just for the re-wire, no chasing, no test etc but is off a family member.

Im trying to keep costs to a minimum as im on a budget with this being my first home.

The house is not lived in so mess isnt too much of an issue

Hope somebody can help, thanks in advance, Thomas

Sponsored Links
Not lived in it should not be so difficult.

Is it dormer?

Is it solid floor?

If not, is there easy access to UFS?

Not lived in it should not be so difficult.

Is it dormer?

Is it solid floor?

If not, is there easy access to UFS?

Thanks for the reply.

No just a single story with a standard attic space.

I believe its floor boards due to the living room having original parquet flooring? Havnt had the carpets up yet to check if im honest with you.

What do you think of the prices?

Prices sound about right.

Personally I'd try and advise against customers doing their own chasing, as it nearly always ends up being not right, and takes nearly as long to sort out as it does to do it in the first place.

I normally have an apprentice with me to do the chasing, so you're not going to save all that much doing it your self.

Sponsored Links
The 2000 quote was to chase, re-wire and Test/certificate. (friend)

The 1500 quote was just for the re-wire, no chasing, no test etc but is off a family member.

Im trying to keep costs to a minimum as im on a budget with this being my first home.

So 2K for all donkey work and test/certs and notification?
or 1.5K for no donkey work, no test/certs, no notification fee!
If notification fee is included in 2K option, it's a no brainier!

You'll know best how to avoid/minimise family fall-out.

But have absolutely nothing to do with that family member when it comes to electrical work.

The family member will connect it all and test it but he doesn't have the qualification to do issue the electrical safety certificate. He says this will cost £150 but can give us details of people to do this (who he normally uses)

What do you mean by notification sorry?

I can provide a detailed list if people thinks this will help for what we are having. No floor boards will be lifted as they will be going into the loft and then down to the circuit board.

Thanks again guys!

The family member will connect it all and test it but he doesn't have the qualification to do issue the electrical safety certificate.
If he says that then he MUST be AT LEAST ONE of these:
  • Unqualified and incompetent.
  • Totally ignorant about the rules and regulations surrounding electrical work.
  • A liar.

Sorry - but the reality of anybody doing electrical work and saying he can't certify his work really is one of those.

You'll know best how to avoid/minimise family fall-out, but have absolutely nothing to do with that family member when it comes to electrical work.

He says this will cost £150 but can give us details of people to do this (who he normally uses)
It doesn't work like that, and you must also have nothing to do with his lying pals either.

What do you mean by notification sorry?
Some electrical work needs notifying to Building Control, and this is in that class. Unless the electrician can self-certify compliance, it must be notified in advance and their approval obtained before any work starts.

I can provide a detailed list if people thinks this will help for what we are having. No floor boards will be lifted as they will be going into the loft and then down to the circuit board.
Don't do any of that - find an electrician who should actually be trading as one, unlike your chancer family member and his crooked mates.

The family member will connect it all and test it but he doesn't have the qualification to do issue the electrical safety certificate. He says this will cost £150 but can give us details of people to do this (who he normally uses)
Thanks again guys!

I guess it depends upon if you trust your family member?

Have you met B.A.S. before? I hope I'm wrong but this thread reads like you're a sock-puppet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back