Another roofing question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Ive been working on my extension all day and am very close to having to construct the rafters, pitching plate etc.

I have a partialy sloping ceiling in my kitchen which is were the rafters meet an old 4x1 wall plate, after much deliberation i have decided not to try and match it up but to replace the wall plate and all of the old rafters.

I used a sliding bevel inside the kitchen against the wall then up against the ceiling to find the angle, drew it on a piece off wood the used a rafter square to find the angle wgich i think is 25 degrees, so to the questions;

1. Does the wall plate go on the inner leaf or the outer as on the original roof it is a 9" thick wall with the wall plate on the outer wall.

2. What is the minimum pitch that a roof can be ??? will i get away with 25 degrees again if i renew the lot ???

Cheers
Stan. :)

Sponsored Links
the wallplate could go on either but these days we fit it to the inner leaf.

it makes it easier to deal with fixing the restraint straps! :LOL:

regards pitch - what kind of roof tiles do you intend fitting?

Concrete lindum teracotas Nose so the match the main roof, as far as the restraining straps go im rendering the outside any way so i could fit them to the exterior outside leaf then render over them couldnt i ???

i,m not familiar with those particular tiles Stan sorry. if they are interlocking the chances are they should be fine.

why the reluctance to fit the plate on the more conventional inner leaf?

Sponsored Links
Ive got a cavity on the new wall Nose, and not on the existing old wall so theres a good chance that the inner leaf wont line up properly with old wall its connected to, when the side of the kitchen comes down.

Cheers for that im off to order them today, hopefully they will have some idea how many i need if i give them the roof measurement.

finish the internal masonry high enough, so that the new wall plate and the joists that sit on it, line up with the existing joists/ceiling.

you could then add a false slope or rake to match the existing.

mmmmmm? you may have to disregard the above as you may not be able to sit the rafters at the same height as existing. i.e. the rafter tops will differ thus knackering up the lath run thro'.

bah! :rolleyes:

Cheers for that Nose, but i have decided if a job is worth doing then lets do it right, gunna replace all the rafters, ceiling joists, wall plate and pitching plate, then reduce the pitch of the roof to 22.5 degrees :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back