Another Vauxhall In-Car Conundrum

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just noticed the thread on the Corsa stereo, I too had a bit of trouble with my Astra stereo.

My stereo faceplate got lost (no fault of mine, I might add!). However, being on a business trip my company insurance covered me. So, off to Vauxhall I went to buy the new faceplate.

"Certainly sir, that's £40" they say. Not bad. So, the guy takes down the details of the headunit and brings up the right part on the database. I point out to him that whilst looking the same, the part he is noting down is for a radio cassette, I have a CD. Of course he assures me that is correct, they are the same part (oh how wrong he would prove to be!)

The faceplate arrives, I go to collect it. Follow the procedure in the manual. Turn it on, all the lights on the stereo start flashing madly. Oops. "Oh, you will need to get the stereo decoded" says the "expert" they call out from the back. They give me the address of such a place.

So, I head down there. Stereo decoded, one day later went to pick it up. "We have chipped the stereo, but you do realise this faceplate is intended for a radio cassette sir?" So I explain the situation to them. They inform me that it is probably knacked.

So, I go back to Vauxhall (in a really happy mood, because that morning they had tried to overcharge me on a 2 year service!) and they tell me that the stereo chipping place doesn't know what they are talking about. Anyway, after ringing the stereo place they agreed that the stereo was knacked so sold me a new one at "cost price".

So, that £40 faceplate ended up costing:

£40 for a faceplate
£25 for a decode
£200 for a new headunit afterwards
Total: £265

Luckily insurance covered it!

Sponsored Links
Back